Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I come to you for advice.

JNF

First, hi everyone I have been some time in the forum from the shadows. And I want to pursache my first "powerful" 532nm laser. Searching on the forum and on every page I've found. I opted to buy it from laserbtb.com. I'm among this 2:

100mw:
PL 520nm 532nm 100-1000

50mw:
HL 532nm 50-300

This 2 seems to be quality lasers, and i'm looking for one decent laser.
Is the difference of power quite significant? Opinions of people who has tried?
If you have another options about that price please tell me.

Thanks for your time.

So are you interested in the base line powers of each model? 50mW vs. 100mW? Because they come in a range of power outputs.

My opinion is there isn't a huge difference in 50mW to 100mW as compared to 50mW vs. 200mW. I believe that it takes 4x the power to double the brightness with 532nm.

But Personally I would go for the 100. For me I use my 100mW the most and is a great all around laser to play with especially indoors with some incense burning. You will see the beam of the 100mW more in daylight conditions where 50mW is pretty dim but in fog even a 50mW is quite bright. For me 200mW is getting too dicey to use inside. It just depends what your desired application is.

Remember even at 50mW eye damage is a very real threat so use caution and be sure to buy some safe glasses. Especially if attempting to burn.

JNF

I meant that if i buy the 100mw i'll buy the first one, and if it is the 50mw laser i'll pick the second one. I'll buy glasses and batteries on a webpage of my country.

I can pick the first one on 200mw version, if the difference in the beam and brightness is more notorious. So you say that 200mw it's to much for and inside using?
Because maybe i try a bit of burning.

Which one do you recommend me?

Thanks for your answer.

Last edited:
I meant that if i buy the 100mw i'll buy the first one, and if it is the 50mw laser i'll pick the second one. I'll buy glasses and batteries on a webpage of my country.

I can pick the first one on 200mw version, if the difference in the beam and brightness is more notorious. So you say that 200mw it's to much for and inside using?
Because maybe i try a bit of burning.

Which one do you recommend me?

Thanks for your answer.

Keep in mind this is my personal preference and not everyone may agree. I would not use a 200mW indoors because I don't keep my eye protection on at all times. At 200mW, the reflection off things like walls or light colored and gloss objects is bad. Its too bright. Also make sure you don't have any mirrors in the room ext. Be smart about it. Don't be shining a klaser around if other people are in the house and may walk into the room un knowingly and catch a beam in the eye.

But for me if my 100mW dot hits the wall its not so bright that it makes me nervous. Generally when I use lasers indoors I have a matte black bath mat I use as a safe beam stop or have known safe spots in the room.

I use lasers indoors less and less the longer I enjoy this hobby. I more enjoy foggy nights outdoors taking beam pics and general play.

Why not get the quality btb 200mW and buy a cheaper 50mW as well? You can find a nice 50mW from O-like for $25 that has great specs and low IR. I just got one and am very impressed. O-like gets a bad rap but usually by people that don't own or have ordered anything from them. Look in my sig I have a bunch and am very happy with all but one. If you don't need top level quality IMO O-like is the best source for low priced on spec lasers and consistent shipping times. 3 weeks almost to the day for every one I have bought from them. If your just wanting a 50mW 532 to play around with indoors you don't need to spend a lot of money nor have to resort to harmful IR ebay crap.

This is the one I just got from them. very sturdy host and the beam is impressive.
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=404

Last edited:

JNF

Well I saw that laser too, but I wanted some quality because I didnt want to have to order another laser in short time. I mostly will use the laser outdoors. If I use it indoors it is for curiosity about burning something.

Last edited:

Teej

Well I saw that laser too, but I wanted some quality because I didnt want to have to order another laser in short time. I mostly will use the laser outdoors. If I use it indoors it is for curiosity about burning something.

Its better to burn outside though, as a fire inside is typically worse. There's smoke for example that can make the house smell badly, etc.

:D

JNF

Yup, thats true.

I would like to have another points of view about which one should i get.

if u dont mind a big host then get the PL as the runtimes will be better then on the smaller HL host its up to you to decide if u want big or smaller but the PL feels like its more durable and sturdy worth the extra price if u want a good quality laser for decent price.

Last edited:

JNF

Finally i just ordered the PL 100mw. When it arrives i'll post a little review and some pics.

Thanks guys.

I just did a review on the "Companies" threads RE an order I received from O-like today, I picked up 5 nice greens that all tested between 100-128mW for $26 each including batteries and chargers plus holsters ... They're actually very VERY nice, focusable (and yes they DO burn, quite nicely) great beams and stability - and like I said, $26. They don't have all the fancy "FDA" stuff like locks, etc but it's just as easy to burn your eyes WITH that stuff as it is without :)

FDA dont mean anything the lasers laserbtb sells are not approved by FDA anyway.