Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I can’t get my first laser to work :/

Pewpewpew- - -

Hey everyone. I’ve been trying to get my first burning laser functional. But, am having difficulties. Before I get into that let me start by saying this: I’ve read lots of these forums and other forum as well. I don’t understand why so many people respond to question with answers making the one asking the question look like an idiot. Point is, we’re here to help and to learn. I think if you don’t have anything to say that fall under those two categories. Well, then get a hobby and learn something you don’t know yet.

Alright, with that said ;) I’ve got about a dozen diodes from DVD burners and blue ray players, I ordered 50 LM317 regulators online and an assortment of resistors. I’ve watched videos and read forums and have constructed a couple of laser attempts. But they don’t work…

I’ve tried a 10pm resistor and a one ohm, the 1 ohm resistor was with parts I salvaged so I can’t say that was the problem. Too many other factors. I’m using an LM317 regulator and have tried a couple different diodes. Both from bu ray and from DVD burner. Tried using a 9v battery as a source and most recently tried a single 18650.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong please?!

Anthony P

What results are you getting. Do the diodes light up at all. Are configured for CC mode on the 317s. What collimating optics? Test load?

Pewpewpew- - -

No the diodes do not light up at all. I apologize for not knowing exactly all these things, I honesty have done lots of research but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. I’ve looked up adjustments to the LM317 and wasn’t able to find anything. So, to answer your question, I’m not sure if it’s configured for CC mode or how I could find out if it is. The optics are from eBay, I looked back in my order history for a specific name but the item is no longer available and I couldn’t access that info. I believe it is appropriate though. I also have one from a previous laser I had ordered, I cut it down to just behind the diode to access the pins. As for the rest load, and again forgive my lack of knowledge. But how would I determine that?

I tried to educate myself before posting a thread but I’ve spent/wasted too much time trying to do that. Which is why I had to go ahead and ask here. So thank you for your response you’ve already provided and thank you in advance for any further info.

Pewpewpew- - -

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The search function on this page is your friend. The questions you're asking, " how do I build a test load, How do I use a LM317 as a CC source" are really basic questions. So basic you'll probably find few people here willing to waste their time spoon-feeding you step-by-step instructions for things you can find in 30 seconds or less using google.

You say you spent a bunch of time 'trying to educate yourself''. Funny, the first thing google pops up when I type LM317 constant current is a schematic of exactly the circuit you need. When I type 'test load for laser driver' the second hit on the google results points back to this forum, with instructions as detailed as you could ever want. https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/test-load-diagrams-for-all-laser-diodes.65186/

Try a little harder to educate yourself. You're asking this community 'why doesn't it work' without even showing us what you're trying. Step-by-step-by-step instructions with pictures, videos, parts lists, and schematics, for building a burner from a DVD or blu-ray diode are available with one google search. Your questions smack of trolling, and your apparent inability (or lazy unwillingness) to do a few quick google searches is....off-putting to most of those here who could help you.

I'm not trying to, "respond to question with answers making the one asking the question look like an idiot." When you type, " I’ve looked up adjustments to the LM317 and wasn’t able to find anything." you do that to yourself. :rolleyes:

Pewpewpew- - -

Awwww yes, there is the kind of answer I've seen so many of on here. What you may not realize is your response actually gave me some useful information. The research I've done came mainly from youtube videos, which show you how to construct a driver but not many go into any detail about the different configurations or test loads (and thats the useful information I got from you). Its hard to google something when you aren't sure what to google. For example, tell me how I am supposed to know to type "LM317 constant current" being that it is not referred to as such. I did google that and yes, it pulled up what you said it did. Again, helpful information thank you. Now why don't you just google "LM317" and imagine you were trying this for the first time and knew next to nothing on the subject. Wouldn't be so simple or "basic" would it?

Now before you go asking why I didn't spend more time doing research on this forum let me just tell you. I didn't care to have to read through all the smart ass answers from people like yourself who feel like you're somebody special because you know how to do something that really isn't that impressive. I haven't succeeded yet, no. But I will have done so in a day or two. So again, its not the simplest thing to build but by no means is it that complex or anything to make you think you're too good to answer a "basic" question. Let's think about something....I'd bet you that instead of spending your time googling things you already knew just to tell me how easy it was to find then go on to nag about how I should do better at what I don't know how to do, if you had just been understanding and willing to share the information that you knew I needed, it would have taken you less time. AND on the other end, If i didn't have to read through your snide response, go throw up because people like you make me sick, then come back and open your eyes for you. I could have sent a much shorter reply and probably most likely even gotten another response from you (I say that because I'm sure you don't have anything better to do, LARPING (I really hope you reply and tell me that the ING isn't supposed to be capitalized, I'd google it but I've wasted too much time on you already and frankly I don't care) seems like something that would be put on hold in the winter right?) and just maybe would already be working on completing a successful laser.

People helping people, it's powerful stuff. And you know what? I for one think that's one problem with people today. Instead of being helpful, they would rather go out of their way to do what, sound like you know something special or make you feel important? Ask yourself this: When you were first learning about this kind of stuff, lasers, how did you learn? Did anyone offer knowledge or did you pop out of your mother knowing everything already? I can most definitely guarantee you there are many things I know that you haven't even the slightest clue about, and I can also guarantee you that if you asked me (before all this of course) even the most basic of basic questions, I would've without hesitation helped you come to the understanding you were trying to reach. Yes, I guarantee it. So do me a favor. Next time you take a sh!t, before you flush it, stick your head down and take a good smell. It's gonna smell the same as everyones. Like shit.

Oh, and one last thing. You said I'd be lucky to find "few people here willing to waste their time spoon-feeding you step-by-step instructions for things you can find in 30 seconds or less using google". Let me offer some knowledge as a thank you for what knowledge you unknowingly gave me: If you were to spoon feed someone, that means you would literally be spooning food into their mouth for them. So for someone to be "spoon feeding" me answers to my questions they would literally be here by my side doing it for me. I would more compare my questions to asking someone how to eat, not to come put spoonfuls of food in my mouth.

Ok, there we go. I just wasted some of my time for you, and hopefully you will open up yours eyes and look at the next "basic" question someone has a little differently. You're welcome. See, people helping people. It's powerful isn't it?

Toodles.

pew pew pew - - -

Pewpewpew- - -

Damn! You've been a member since 2011 and sent almost 1000 messages!! Thats gotta be a lifetime achievement for you. Congratulations! Just tell me one last thing "WizardG" :ROFLMAO:.....what do you tell your mom when she asks you when you're moving out?

If anyone has any helpful information for me, I would be greatful. If not, no hard feelings but please, keep any further unnecessary comments to yourself. Thank you

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Geez this went down south real quick... please fellas let's just move on from here and keep the personal attacks to yourselves. Much thanks

Anthony P

This is both circuits combined. Everything left of LD+ and LD- is the test load, and everything to the right is the CC driver. The test load section shows where to attach a volt meter to read the current to the laser diode. On the driver section, "RES" and "POT" set the output current. Note it says 3V in... I suggest 2 18650 batteries in series (not 3v). Some where I have the formula for RES and POT to calculate current output. I will look for it when I have time. This driver circuit is good for lower power diodes, up to about 1 Amp.

Attachments

• dummy load.JPG
    dummy load.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 18

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Damn! You've been a member since 2011 and sent almost 1000 messages!! Thats gotta be a lifetime achievement for you. Congratulations! Just tell me one last thing "WizardG" :ROFLMAO:.....what do you tell your mom when she asks you when you're moving out?

If anyone has any helpful information for me, I would be greatful. If not, no hard feelings but please, keep any further unnecessary comments to yourself. Thank you
I'll give you one last bit of advice: Before you start playing with a burning laser get the correct safety goggles.

Pewpewpew- - -

Thank you both. I do appreciate the help, hopefully it also helps someone else reading the forums. Gracias