Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

I broke the seal!

KapHn8d

I finished my first laser project today. No longer a virgin and my photon-hormones are ready for another, more challenging endeavor.

I wanted to gift a laser to a life-long friend with a birthday coming up, so I thought I would build him one and since it was my first ever attempt, it would either make the sentiment extra special or go terribly wrong... but worth a shot, no?

His favorite laser "color" was blue (from previous discreet conversation), so I ordered a 450nm diode and driver from DTR's laser shop. I went with the Osram because I wanted to keep the power lower for longer duty cycles and less eye hazard (he's getting goggles with his gift). I ordered a host, drilled pill, and battery contact board from Survival Laser. The entire assembly went fairly smooth for me except for having to drill 2 holes in the contact board and bridge the positive and negative leads to the appropriate contacts on the battery facing side (I'm a n00b and didn't catch that at first). I ended up making a little blob of solder in the center section of the contact board for connection with the 18650 flat top when inserted.

Overall, I think it'll be a nice laser for him and I'll always remember my first. I bought a few diodes and modules from wannaburnstuff's clearance this past week and a set of presses/extractors and another host from flaminpyro before he went on vacation. I'm not sure if I'll go that route just yet... kinda intimidated by setting the driver just yet. I have one of Jufran88's selectable test loads on the way, so I'll likely wait for that... but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyhoo... here's the LPM and a couple of pics. My iPhone camera flash went off trying to take a beam shot, but it looked cool enough to keep (the color is very blue with the flash).

Cheers!

ultimatekaiser

Nice laser. Thinking of doing something like this in an A8 host shortly, if I can dredge up some extra cash. Thanks for sharing!

KapHn8d

Thanks, y'all! I appreciate the kind words and feedback. I can only hope to one day be able to really make some creative projects like some of the folks around here. Baby steps... :)

Cheers! :beer:

Shakenawake

nice, and single mode too. I think I gotta get me one of those, eventually.

Bacon

I see its at 1mW are those shots with a long exposure?
whats next 473 or 488 :pop:
FlaminPyro is da' man I picked up a slick focus ring, and as a result my finger tips are less crispy

Achievement: Laser builder!

+rep sir

-----edit----
There I go skimming again... now that I flexed that muscle in my skull a little harder I realize its a good ~200mw
-hehe, ohh boy

Last edited:

KapHn8d

Bacon, It's 190-ish mW. The shots are all quick snaps with a little squirt of fog... No long exposure. The cool deep blue is b/c the flash went off.

You see 1mW b/c hats the minimum during the 5min LPF run... ie. when I turned it on.

-c

KapHn8d

Haha... well, my first build was going to be a red laser, but my buddy mentioned his favorite laser color was blue, so since it was a birthday gift, I changed my mind.

Other than that reason thought, maybe blue diodes are cheaper? I don't know.

:)

For some reason ,everyone's first laser is always blue
:p

hakzaw1

Very well done!! great pics -- Such a nice B-Day gift-- remind me to remind you about my next Birthday--LOL J/K. +3 when I can.
@ EpicH-- very true now- but ..most lost thier virginity on a red laser back before the blue diodes or a PHR 405 when they first came out.

hk

EpicHam

Very well done!! great pics -- Such a nice B-Day gift-- remind me to remind you about my next Birthday--LOL J/K. +3 when I can.
@ EpicH-- very true now- but ..most lost thier virginity on a red laser back before the blue diodes or a PHR 405 when they first came out.

hk
As an old man once said.
Just the tip doesn't count. :D

It has to be 500mW + to count as a ride to the other end

Last edited: