Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i am a noob please help

i have bought a 100mw green laser 532nm from warnlasers.
witch has a sloppy beam
IMG00251_20130208_1212.jpg
IMG00252_20130208_1212.jpg

at a distance of about 3 meters the dot is about 3 centimeters big whith a spray of dots at a diamiter of about 12 centimeters . (right picture)
in the picture the spray of green dots is not fully visable

defect_laser_pointer.jpg

this is how it looks visually whithout camera glare effects .

if needed i can make more pictures of what u ask (related to the laser ofc :) )

is there a way to fix this or atleast does anyone know what coused this .
i only have the thing a day . it might be that i got it this way and that i just did not notice it in the beginning
it still burns up to 20 cm away after that it had lost alot of power becouse it's out of focus or somthing (ps: no it is not focusable whith the focus lens)

offtopic question :
when i buy my second high powered laser . what do you reccomend i buy
what color and power . and where do you reccomend i order from .
i am on a buget btw

Looks like the lens is dirty.
DPSS lasers are such sensitive creatures.

your description of the beam, does it look like two beams are coming out?
if so, I believe that's called TEM01 mode. Not sure how to fix it.

Last edited:
so the spray of small dots is just dirt ??? ok good to know . how can i safely clean this ?

uhhm yes it has 2 thin beams that very slightly graduatly get further apart.
and widen slightly at as you get further out from the source .

yes its tm01 i just checked after doing some research of what that even is .
it is not supposed to be like this . or it is simply way to out of focus and cant get it focused enoegh . perhaps if it is clean it wil look alot better already but i am to afraid to damage or scratch the surface since i do not know how sensitive these things are

after looking whithout the lens the dots are still there so it's not dirt on the lens

and it looks more like tem31

IMG00259_20130208_1550.jpg

IMG00258_20130208_1549.jpg
tem31 looks closest to this . i do not want this i want tem00

IMG00256_20130208_1548.jpg

IMG00257_20130208_1548.jpg

it is potted as you can see

IMG00255_20130208_1539.jpg
what i am holding my thumb on is what i need to use to focus , the inner part will then move up or down.
when i move it down it get's more focused and i can't seem to turn it far enoegh to get it focused

IMG00253_20130208_1536.jpg

i just spoke to someone from warnlaser . they offered that i'd send the laser to them they will fix it and send it back

i decided to send it to them . so i will do so this monday hope they won't scam
me

It is my understanding, when pushing a diode hard with more current to deliver a higher output, the diode "mode hops" from TEM00 to the other modes.

I am curious to know if this is permanent. If one could and chose to turn down the current, would the diode stabilize and remain at TEM00?

The splatter around the dot can be caused by debris on any of the optics the beam washes through. It can also be caused by impurities in the substrate the beam is shining through, as well. DPSS greenies begin as 808nm light, and goes through two crystals. After that, it may, in may cases, also go through a collimating lens.

I own an older, like 8 years old, light pen laser in 532nm green. It produces about 50mW, a big deal once. After operating it for about 30 seconds, it mode hops from TEM00 to TEM01. It looks like the beam splits. Let it cool, try again, and it's back to TEM00 until she warms up. My beam looks very much like yours, but not with such divergence. Meaning, not as huge at a close distance. Bear in mind it is the 808nm diode that is mode hopping, not the crystals in front of it that convert the beam to 532nm green.

OP: Can your laser be easily refocussed? Or is the output focus more or less fixed, unless you take it apart? Focussing won't correct the TEM01, but it may improve your spot size.

EDIT: Those crystals are super, super delicate. Be very careful, if you intend to clean it or touch those crystals with anything. Knock them out of alignment, and it's all over.

Last edited:
i know i made that mistake whith a 25mw green laser .
it broke somehow and i thought that those crystals where knocked out of line or somthing .
then tried to slighley move it back and then the whole crystal module came lose.
my green light turned red and as i have read a little on this forum today it was not smart to look into it becouse it was mostly invisible light .
still have that thing lying around here somewhere but some part's already ended up in trash

anyway i know not to touch the assembly in pictures 3 and 4
as i said
i am planning not to do anything about it and just send it back since it is brand new .
just a day old now and the problem occurred yesterday
still have one year warrenty but to send it back means sending it to china . so that will last another 3 to 4 weeks or longer .

what are good high power lasers that can easely handle longer use . so like longer then 20 seconds
essentially looking for a burning laser light sigarettes or something and whith a far reach

Dealing with China, for us impatient yanks living in the U.S. saves us money, but requires patience with the long shipment times and dishonest advertising.

To light a cigarette, not being black, requires more power than popping a black balloon. And getting a green in really high power isn't cheap, and requires more cooling than other colors produced by "direct diodes".

The 445nm blues are popular, right now, and tremendous burners. Expect to pay about $100/Watt for a 445nm blue laser, and $1000/Watt in a 532nm green.

Get your green replaced, since you've paid for it, and it will be simpler than trying to talk the seller into a change up. I recently bought one of BLord's 445nm builds (shown in my signature line) and at 2100+ mW, it is the best burner I have ever used. Don't even think about using it without eye protection, though.

100$ / w is alot cheaper then the wicked lasers artic
where can i find those . only here on the forum ?

and i am not an american :p im from the netherlands in europe (you know amsterdam :p)

Get your green replaced, since you've paid for it, and it will be simpler than trying to talk the seller into a change up. I recently bought one of BLord's 445nm builds (shown in my signature line) and at 2100+ mW, it is the best burner I have ever used. Don't even think about using it without eye protection, though.

Yes, the B/S/T forum. Also linked in my signature line (since I loved it so much)

and i am not an american :p im from the netherlands in europe (you know amsterdam :p)

I've heard of that place. ;) isn't that the place where mind-altering drugs are as plentiful as Starbucks are in the States?

Edit: Update your profile so we can see where you live.

Last edited:
kinda . i wouldn't say it's mind altering but yea pretty mutch

and i will update my profile :p made this account today so haven't gotten around to it yet

Bro, you may try to do some reference on Review section for your preferred wavelength laser.
Or 445nm unit on Buy, Sell & Trade section.

Hope it helps.:beer:

hey i just read a topic about how to care for your beast (the artic blue laser)
and they warned not to use the CR123 battery's becouse they will exceed the power limit . and that's what the site said i needed to put in my laser maybe that's why it broke

o wait never mind i just read it again and it said don't put in 2 CR123 so i am guessing it's like trying to use aaa instead of aa battery's or somthing that might work for a little while .. using 4 or 5 watch battery's stacked ontop of eachother to simulate an AAA battery (basicly the same thing if you open up an AA or an AAA battery)

Last edited: