Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hurricane Ophelia

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Hi, just wanted to create this thread to wish any other UK and Ireland members the best of luck with Ophelia.
Also thought it would be worth mentioning as Ophelia has just hit the record books and is attracting attention for multiple reasons.
1) Ophelia is the 10th major hurricane this season making this the worst hurricane season since 1893 tying with 1876 and 1886.
2) It is also the most eastern Cat 3 hurricane on record resulting in a very odd threat to UK waters.
3) And very strangely, it is actually going to feed of the temperature difference of the water. :thinking:

Stay safe, as Ophelia isn't expected to weaken as much a previously thought and it's true track can still alter. It will reach the British Isles currently as a extra-tropical storm but with its former hurricane energy. This could end up being worse for us all than if it hit as a defined hurricane, as the spread of the storm will widen yet still carrying the strength and broadening the damage. My advice is to keep checking for updates on the storm.

As of this moment the storm is still expected to intensify near the coast of Ireland before starting to lose its hurricane form. Ophelia is one very unusual hurricane indeed. :confused:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/storm-tracker/#?tab=map&stormId=17L&stormName=OPHELIA

144425.png

GMVS.JPG

ophelia_141020171800_full_ir_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Encap

Just read: LONDON -- Hurricane Ophelia has been upgraded to a Category 3 storm, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said late Saturday morning.
Hope any damage is minimal.

Stay safe UK

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Encap, never thought that the UK would be receiving this sort of threat myself. Well, not just yet anyway. If the track stays the same, then for the south east where I am could actually see unseasonable sunshine instead which would be lucky. But I'm getting myself prepared for the worst just in case as it only takes a small shift. Ireland and the west of the UK is expected to get it bad ATM.

Last edited:
I thinking that the computer models might be a little off here. The water temperature off the coast of Ireland isn't warm enough to sustain a category 3 storm. I do know that your water temps are a couple of degrees warmer than the PNW. I also know this part of the world is no stranger to large storms and category 1 or 2 storms ( but not usually with a tight eye wall like this).

If indeed a category 3 when it hits the coast, there is going to be mass destruction. I wish all live there the best of luck.

Get lots of pictures and video.
The more documentation of these storms, the better.

Last edited:
Oh man our thoughts are with you guys, stay safe and prepare just in case.

I'm in the green zone of that prediction (Liverpool) .

I love severe weather and we don't get enough of it here.
Ped

hehehe, hey ped, you'd better anchor down the Spark well before you fly it in the storm buddy.

:crackup:

ped

The Spark is currently in the Netherlands getting repaired :/

Was having all kinds of compass / gps errors with it.

Ped

The Spark is currently in the Netherlands getting repaired :/

Was having all kinds of compass / gps errors with it.

Ped

It must be agony to be without the drone ped.
I couldn't handle being without mine, you get attached, LOL. :cryyy:
Hope you get it back soon and all fixed up.

RB

Edit: oops my bad, getting off-topic, the impending hurricane is so much more important.

:eek:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I thinking that the computer models might be a little off here. The water temperature off the coast of Ireland isn't warm enough to sustain a category 3 storm. I do know that your water temps are a couple of degrees warmer than the PNW. I also know this part of the world is no stranger to large storms and category 1 or 2 storms ( but not usually with a tight eye wall like this).

If indeed a category 3 when it hits the coast, there is going to be mass destruction. I wish all live there the best of luck.

Get lots of pictures and video.
The more documentation of these storms, the better.

I know exactly what you are saying and you’d usually be correct. This is why this storm is odd and has meanwhile broken a record. What should of happened was it should of only reached Cat 2 at most and should of lost hurricane status before it reaches North Africa. But instead the hurricane is thriving of the temperature difference. IIRC, due to coincidence of the jet streams current location, it is putting warm water on one side of the storm and cold water the other, allowing convection and the storm to gather strength where it shouldn’t. By the time it gets near Ireland it will have to fall apart, as even the temp difference won’t be enough for the eye wall to survive.
Now I know if it does hit, it still won’t be anything like Harvey or Maria but for the British Isles it could still cause havoc.

Another hurricane falls on the ground!

We heard the news and seen us in Italy!

Good luck to those who have been hit by Ophelia, hope I have not done too much damage! (I say this because I see little TV) I just happened to catch the news at the news!​

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It hasn’t hit yet 3D.

Also thanks Alex and Andrew. I should be fine, it is those to the west of me to face the worst of it. I’m just a bit concerned. This marks the 30th anniversary of the 1987 storm we had where they famously forecasted it wrong. I hope the southeast where I am isn’t being put under false pretences. Too many Londoners are preparing to get a sun tan while the rest of the country is being blown apart. I can’t see that being the case somehow? :thinking:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Whether or not it will hit across the UK as well isn’t certain but what is, is it will hit Ireland.

Ireland! perhaps because of the wide spaces ...!
I hope nobody dies and above all do not do too much damage to sheep breeders for Irish wool !​

Wow... The global weather this summer has
been volatile to say the least.
What's that I hear.... Global warming is a Myth...:whistle:

Hope you don't get hit too hard Curtis...
Keep us informed.

Jerry

Last edited: