Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Howdy from Texas

Richstamp2

Hello all. My name is Richard. Although i have been a fan of lasers since i was a child, i cant really afford to make it a hobby. My main reason for joining is to get advise on what laser i need to be getting for a project im doing. I have been on this site all day looking over old posts and trying to educate myself via the search option but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. im not too good at this forum thing so i would like to apologize in advance if i get something wrong.

Welcome to the LPF, Richard. I would like to help you with your search for a laser, but you haven't given enough information to give you advise. I hope your search proves fruitful. You are doing just fine at this forum thing. ;)

Richstamp2

Welcome to the LPF, Richard. I would like to help you with your search for a laser, but you haven't given enough information to give you advise. I hope your search proves fruitful. You are doing just fine at this forum thing. ;)
I was going to create a separate post for my inquiry but i cant figure out what section to put it under. I did find a post from last year that is pretty much my question but nobody replied. So basically im looking for a laser that the contact dot can be easily discernable at 1000ft away during the day. Im re-fencing my property and my OCD will destroy me if it's not straight. Ive tried all the tricks for a straight fence with the exception of a wire pull (dont have the equipment for it).

A 1000 feet is a long way. Lasers diverge after a they travel a distance, so you need a laser with a divergence in mrad that is fairly low. The 532nm green lasers can be pretty low in this respect, but to still be visible out to 1000 ft you may have to expand the beam so that its divergence will be lower. To do this in daylight you are now talking about a couple of hundred $. Maybe more.

Richstamp2

A 1000 feet is a long way. Lasers diverge after a they travel a distance, so you need a laser with a divergence in mrad that is fairly low. The 532nm green lasers can be pretty low in this respect, but to still be visible out to 1000 ft you may have to expand the beam so that its divergence will be lower. To do this in daylight you are now talking about a couple of hundred $. Maybe more.
Alright. The noob in me is starting to show lol by expand the beam do you mean a bigger diameter beam? Would i need some kind of focus optics to get a smaller point?

MYB you can measure that in smaller incriments ??? .. 1/3 of that would be not too hard with a 1W (1000mW) green.. no other will be easy to see in daylight. No way you can do at night?

a BE is a lens that makes the beam larger (expanded) at the laser and extends the 'sweet spot' farther away.

I have a NEW green for sale w/ 10 X BE .. 520 nm ProPl-E JETLASERS ( go to jetlasers.org ) lots to see and drool over at JL.
You will also need to consider a 'duty/rest cycle' to keep your laser happy (not TOO hot)-- the laser DOES have a tripod hole BUT I WOULD NEVER TRUST IT--just not enough metal for enough threads-(and Aluminum)- it will fall off.. only makes about 2 rotations..
it has a place to use an AC/DC converter-- runs the laser AND charges your batts. full JL warranty- best and most FAV SELLER AT lpf==

WORD OF WARNING-- dont let your OCD ruin this 'hobby ' for you..

not EVERYTHING works out like we want.. not much that is REALLY 'perfect' ...we use diodes that we NOT made for our uses..
I say
dont sweat the petty stuff or pet the sweaty stuff.

Tiny details that many of us would not EVEN notice and others would have no clue.. Example--Striving for the perfect 'white laser' can drive you nuts. AND we all see them differently so--

More laser dots are NOT perfectly round than are anywhere near perfect.
you do know a transit would be fine for your needs?? and they have laser transits now-- Road crews use them a lot.

be safe and ENJOY!! hak