Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Howdy from central Texas!

well TBH I don't think it is as bad as we think- I was in a food court where a blackbird was flying about- I perched directly over my table where I was eating-- I am big supporter of SPCA etc but that was not acceptable- so I broke out an 800mW 445 and trying to not go for the eyes scared it off- not much longer he came back- so when I tried again he did not move- so the bird got slightly 'face scanned' and this apparently is not doing the kind of harm we may think- of as eyes do not have pain receptors the bird felt nothing- had to move to another table-- last night I watched a spider moving about on my ceiling-
it too was not fazed much but did try to avoid the beams of my 405/650 and the 445/800-- got as close as I could tried REAL hard to keep steady beams on it but this did not kill it- so to those thinking the can kill bugs/spiders this way--GOOD LUCK.
To discourage feral cats from my carport I have lased them too== completely a waste of time they are unfazed by most all mine handhelds--

IMO-- the plastic owl decoys work much better are are totally harmless-

I see these on many beach houses at surfside beach and never see any of the millions of flying rats we have here-seagulls= < I have come to hate them- and in some cities they are illegal to feed(like SanDiego) feed one and a dozen show up feed them to lure hundreds to shit all over your car- they come back and perch.. shitting all the time just waiting for the feeder to return.. it takes weeks /months before they give up.
Airports employ both dog trainer/owners and even some falconers to keep birds away from aircraft- if there was a better easier why they would be using that..

about the officer claiming you lased them in the eye--BS- and even if they saw the laser flash in the car it was not on purpose either-- to me its like yelling 'fire' when you fall into a vat of chocolate-- no one comes if you yell 'chocolate'-- was there bychance a dash cam on the cop car? if so they will most likely lie about the event being recorded--
I live out the the country- I do nite pics towards the woods behind my house- never towards the roads or the bridge very closeby. I keep these sessions short- and a few times I saw county cops criuse by and slow down near my house- very likely I got called in on even tho the caller had to lie to get a car sent-

flip off another driver-- they may call 911 and say you pointed a gun at them= anybody that ignore these things is a fool-

road rage can get you arrested or even killed==

use of lasers around people --also a BAD idea-- and technically illegal- no need to prove anything more than seeing the beam-- you will not get your arctic back- not unless you have friends in high places.

BTW you both know I was JK about the religeon or lack thereof..

hak
at my 'office' (McDs)

Last edited:

Bacon

I just had to come back with this great stuff, it was a great thread!
Captainjman said:
If you, or anyone else have any questions about aviation, FAA, etc - feel free to contact me. I am an airline Transport Pilot - and was an FAA accident Prevention Counselor.

I have never seen a pilot report a laser event unless the beam was directed directly into the cockpit window.
///////
Most of the incidents I have heard about came out of the New York area, specifically LaGuardia (KLGA) - It probably has a lot to do with the density of people. There are other areas that have laser tracking teams ready, and they have the ability to triangulate the location of the laser to within maybe 10-20 feet. Some people have done this from their backyards and of course couldn't run away from the police. But even those on mountain tops, or forest preserves where the population density is sparse get caught because they cant evade the tracking fast enough.

When you fly at night the lights in the cockpit are turned very low, so that you can easily see the ground and other traffic. If a laser hits your eyes and your eyes are in low light (pupil wide open) - it doesn't have to do permanent damage to really cause a problem (especially on arrival and departure).

I have seen lasers pointed at my plane at altitude and never even reported it. At that distance, approximately 7 miles up and from directly above the laser it is difficult to shine into the cockpit. As the laser gets more offset from directly below, the distance increases rapidly. By the time it is at an angle it can even enter the cockpit and reach the eye it may be 100 miles away.. and by even 7 miles up through the haze and pollution layers it is barely even noticeable and the dot is measured in feet not mm's

I look forward to answering more questions, I have to go.

Very interesting stuff. Since I have only shined my 445 outside three times and decided no more unless in a remote area. Every time I shine it up I hear a helicopter in the area. The 445 was only on for roughly 15sec tops.(this has happened every time out of the 3 times)
once at 12pm
second at 11pm
third at 2am!!!! Helicopters don't fly this late (its not EMS either!)

I realized there is a very VERY small airport 6-10 miles away with private/small jets
I think ill have to stop outdoor use forever now :( ...
FAA Form 7400.2
38685d1341635833-using-lasers-near-airports-fig-29-1-2.jpg

SOURCE: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/legal-point-150mw-green-laser-sky-us-76159.html

Now when I'm in the country I will have key snippets printed from FAA Form 7400.2 and the various laws, to at least drive home the point that I am responsible; perhaps a CHL would aid in the officer trusting you more? My second layer of story would be that I am taking university physics.. yadda.. yadda
good lord this is getting long! :eek:
Stay safe man :beer:

Strange that you would post that info from Captainjman.
i have had him on my mind for some time now- last I heard from the gent he was in the hospital and not enjoying it. LOTS of pain- he may enjoy hearing from members but save the pity party-- I know we all wish him well and speedy recovery. good member.

Sending him a friend request is a great idea IMHO.
Same goes for MIA ( more than two years) member 'greenmechanic' friend him too please--
ty hak