Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Howdy from Arizona

Howdy all. Just joined and look forward to learning a bunch from the members here. I have been interested in lasers since I saw my first pointer back in 1996. Bought one then and it was fun, but not like what is on the market today. One of the main reasons I joined today is I finally bought what I would consider a higher powered laser, as in it will light fires and melt things. The seller at the gun show claims it is 2000mW but the packaging does not say so (obviously from China). So I have no clue what it really is but I am researching if I need to wear safety glasses with this one. I own several other lasers, most green, but none that produce any heat (probably all 5mW pointers).

Aside from lasers I am a gadget nut. Love flashlights, knives, multitools, and assorted EDC items. Avid off-roader and Jeep owner, gun enthusiast, photographer and wanna-be storm chaser (except we rarely get storms here). I can fix almost anything mechanical and will help you fix yours.

Recently divorced so now I can actually spend money on decent lasers rather than the cheap ones I have had.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF , Stealthy! :yh:

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Take a pic of your laser, I'm sure someone will be able to identify it. Yes, you should wear safety goggles with that laser, as it is most likely to be over 5mW, even though it's probably not 2000mW.

I would also like to add that when I got into flashlights big time I would take two tripods out to the middle of nowhere, one for flashlights and one for the camera, and take "Beamshots" as they are called in the flashlight world. I can see myself doing the same with lasers.

Gazen

Welcome stealthy!

You ABSOLUTELY need goggles with that, it’s definitely over 5mW. Use the search bar for safety information, read a few threads, I’ll link some later. You said you did some burning, do not even look at the dot inside until you get some glasses, like these:

https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Ea...er_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862524.aspx

You can get a discount as a forum member.

Make sure you read up on laws regarding laser usage in the US, don’t point it anywhere you shouldn’t (people,aircraft,cars, use common sense).

Stay safe, there’s a lot of good information here if you use the search bar at the button of the page :beer:

Last edited:
Welcome to lpf this laser lands definetly between 1-1.6watt i doubt any higher,you absolutly need glasses for this especially when burning stuff due to reflections

Last edited:
Hi,
Welcome to LPF enjoy and be safe..Oh double posting is a no no here use the edit button if you have to add something else.

Rich:)

Welcome To Planet LPF haha Your laser is around 1.4 /<1.6W
Info-
A140 diode
Adjustable driver
Glass lens

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Definitely need googles of at least OD3+ for the wavelength. That laser will be without a doubt over 5mW. I would say to expect between 0.7-1.6W depending on the diode and current draw.

I like how this laser has a class of IVb. Well, that's new. :p

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
The host looks very much like a 301 or 303 laser. Those are over 5 mW, but way under 2 watts. I would say you likely over paid for something that might cost $20..00 in reality. It is better to be an informed consumer before making a purchase from some guy on the street. It might burn things, but only if focused up close. A true 2000 mW laser would catch a paper bag on fire at 5 feet away in just a few seconds.

Last edited:
A true 2000 mW laser would catch a paper bag on fife at 5 feet away in just a few seconds.

Well it actually does do that and quite well I might add. Pretty impressed. But my goggles don't show up until tomorrow so I'm not playing with it tonight.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the info. I plan to do a lot of reading here when I find time.