Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would you solder/braze/weld this?

IsaacT

They were 5 bucks, not sure they are worth repairing but if you wanted to I wouldn't try to weld it. Those handles look like plastic. Might melt off.

I don't think solder would work for that. Your best bet is some very strong adhesive/glue (maybe super glue some better alternative) to reattach it. Or just buy another. That may end up being the cheapest, easiest option.

jwjsr

Funny thing happened, They can with a $10 dollar bill in the pack, I assume they knew they were broken before they shipped them.
T hadn't occurred to to use glue, DUH, I have several types of glue aroun, now which one?
The normal pressure this joint receives is called shear, I think, up and down pressure, not an away or separating pressure.

djQUAN

If it's stainless, there will be no chance you could solder it.

If steel, you could but will need to clean it well before it could wet with the solder.

It appears that it was originally spot welded.

You can pop the rivet off so that the U part can be heated without the plastic melting. Then also disassemble the other part that has the spring attached to it so that you can reattach the broken off part without much difficulty. After things get reattached, assemble everything together again.

jwjsr

thanks for your suggestions, I gorilla glued it yesterday and just picked them up and tried them so far so good, interesting because like i said there is some fairly strong shear on the joint, I wonder if i tried to add solder if it would mess up my gorilla glue joint? sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.

No problem:beer: I'd just leave it alone as long as the glue works.