Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to open this nice blue module

reloader45

Hallo,

some month ago, I bought this nice blue laser module:

Now I would like to build a laserpointer from this module.
The Diode is inside an aluminum heatsink, without Driver. The Diameter is approx. 21 mm. I would like to get the Diode out of the two piece heatsink.
Unfortunately I can not disassamble the heat sink, even with brutal force.
Because this laser was expensive, i would hate to destroy the Diode.
The Diode inside looks a little strange, it has no Cup, but a little glued window. Maybe it is a decaped Diode.
I can not see any thread between the two parts of the heat sink. Is it possible, that the parts are glued together?

If I can not disassamble the heat sink, i will turn it down to 20,0 mm and open the rear cap to install a little Driver.

best regards

Edgar

I would not try to machine the module with the diode in it. We usually press these diodes out. This can be accomplished with a diode press that pushes against the outer rim of the diode. This is done by pressing from the front of the diode to push the diode out the back of the module.

reloader45

Hello,

I will take a photo this evening, It is a closed heatsink with a Little hole in the back for the two wires.

It is impossible to get the Diode out without opening this heat sink.
The module Looks similar to this module:
but I am unable to open it.

best regards

Edgar

That looks like an Aixiz module. I don't know what is keeping you from separating the back half, but it will come apart. You my have to force it apart to access the diode inside.

GSS

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^
Since there are brand new cheaply priced 465nm diodes that do 470nm+ why would you even chance destroying a labby that is fan cooled with a 100% duty cycle and runs well??
There's also a chance that labby has a used diode that has quite a few hours run time already..

reloader45

Hello,

where are the cheap 465 diodes?

Do you have a link?

best regards

Edgar

GSS

I more or less meant Dtr's sight with the 07's 465 at $65 and I believe the 08' at $40 that run 455nm and higher but not quite as baby blue as the 470nm+.
Auction's are an option and there's the M462 that can be found.

reloader45

Hello,

thank you for this Information. I stopped this Project for a while, although the fit of the module in the heatsink is very poor.
At the Moment i build a 490 nm laser with the DTR Diode the DTR heatsink and an Ultrafire host. But first, I must test, if my driver can be regulated down to the little current I need.

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hallo,

I could not finish my 490 nm Laser today, because I noticed that my cheap chinese laser drivers don not go below 500 mA.
After that, I tried to fix my 4500 mA buck driver at 200 mA. Unfortunately one wire of my test load had a bad solder.
So I learned it the hard way, that this kind of drivers don´t like an open output. I think this driver died. With my last driver in stock, i runned the diode at 200 mA. I like the color of this laser very much and the beam is visible in the dark with clean air. Now i will buy some new drivers.

best regards

Edgar

GSS

Hallo,

I could not finish my 490 nm Laser today, because I noticed that my cheap chinese laser drivers don not go below 500 mA.
After that, I tried to fix my 4500 mA buck driver at 200 mA. Unfortunately one wire of my test load had a bad solder.
So I learned it the hard way, that this kind of drivers don´t like an open output. I think this driver died. With my last driver in stock, i runned the diode at 200 mA. I like the color of this laser very much and the beam is visible in the dark with clean air. Now i will buy some new drivers.

best regards

Edgar
Big Bummer:(
A couple members invested alot of time into these 490's 505's etc. when they surfaced about about about a year ago.
Paul might be the member that's more active and can help if you need it..

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Agreed, Paul is the man you need. He along with a few others worked very hard on testing those diodes.

reloader45

Hello,

not a big problem. It was only a loss of money, but a gain of knowledge. I killed the Driver with the test load.
, not with the Diode.
Be sure, that next time I will test the connections to the load before the Driver gets a power Input.
I knew before. that this Drivers don`t like open outlet, but i could not see, that I had a bad solder Connection.
I will finish the 490 nm laserpointer today.
I ordered some blue laser Driver from China and Russia today. When they arrive, i will replace the 4500 mA Driver to a 0 to 300 mA Driver.
The 20 mm heatsink from DTR worked very well. I only needed a moderate pressure with the drill press to get a good press fit of the Diode.
That helps a lot and I can focus my work to the production of the modiefied host.

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hello,

as promised, i finished my 490 nm laser today. Becuase i hate the look of lenses at the front of the laser, I made a 30 mm nut with 9*0,5 mm thread to fix and hide the lense. The spot is very tight with a chinese glas lense, tighter than i would expect.
Attached some photos of the laser.

best regards

EdgarIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0106.jpg

Digital cameras rarely get the color of these correctly, but this one looks very blue in your photo. That means, if this is how it actually looks, it is 488nm or lower in wavelength. All the ones I have seen that were above 488nm looked somewhat green. The further away from 488nm the greener it will look.

reloader45

Hello,

at the end, I did not open the 465 nm laser module. I cut the wires and put the module in the lathe and turned the Diameter down to 20,00 mm.
Now it fits my homebuilt laser pointer. Although the Output is only 1,5 W, the beam is very visible.

Yesterday I finished my 405 nm Laser with a 12* Diode at 420 mA. The Output is approx. 500 mW, but it is very hard to see any beam.

I am sure, that this wavelength will not be my future favorite.

best regards

Edgar

IMG_0159.jpg

Reactions: GSS