Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how to mount the numb diodes?

kecked

is there a host that fits the new numb series of diodes or do they have to be decanned. Anyone sell such a decanning device? Also I use to have a nice set of mounting blocks you put the diode in then it the back to mount it. Who sells those anymore?

It is very easy, just press the diode into a module as usual with a full copper back half, then if you want to remove the GBall can just use a small screwdriver and pop the GBall can off while in the copper module, it's very easy. Point it lens down and pry between the GBall can and copper module lip, the can falls out, try to avold marring the threads, but it's not really an issue in my experience.

12178-sany0750.jpg

kecked

Thanks. I was not sure. I’m loading them in brass housings. Was not sure how to get lens out or to leave it in

Some GBall lenses are set at a half way decent focus that works pretty well with the addition of a beam expander, others are like a floodlight, also removing the can seems to shorten the diodes lifespan or mean time to half brightness, also someone said you can use a G2 after the GBall then a 3 element, but when I tried that before it was not good enough, I may try it again, typically I buy them cheap and use with a beam expander or pop the can off.

if it is a blue diode i suggest to nor deccan it as it will not live long(i got a green deccaned and 2 months laser still it has the full power ).
i did the experiment with the G2 and 3 element, you can check the post here: https://laserpointerforums.com/f65/new-nichia-blue-diode-102921.html#post1533673

RedCowboy did you maybe test the G2 backwards?i remember that i was making tests and power measurements and it could just ended with it backwards for better results but im not sure without taking apart

The nubm06 diodes I have on hand are good ones, that is the GBall has a good focus that I can use with a beam expander, but I have a couple of nubm42 diodes coming from China and I will try the G2 + 3E on them and see how it works unless they happen to have a good focus as is.

I have had quite a few GBall diodes but when they are de-canned they don't last like window can diodes do, my 06's in builds with GBall intact and beam expanders are great, the GBall is a very efficient longer FL single, too bad they are not all set to infinity.

I have not been able to remove one from the can yet to remount as they always shatter, anyway 1 in 5 is set at a good focus and makes a fun burner with a 3X beam expander.

Have you tested the G2+3E with different GBall diodes or just 1, they are not all the same focus, they range from almost a good beam to a flood light.

From what I remember you said the G2 can position at any distance and then you focus with the 3E, is that correct ?

Last edited:
i have tried only with a nubm08 diode and this certain diode had good focus but i couldn't stand the awful divergence as you already know how much line it is and thats why i made this focusing mechanism to just make it focusable with lower divergence and gball intact.you must try a beam expander after the 3 element,it looks great ;)

yes distance doesn't matter for your first lens,just screw the barel on the m9x0.5 housing threading till it stops-stuck on the gball metal frame,after that you just work from there with whatever lens you like to focus it.(can't remember exactly if i used the 1st lens backwards or normal,just try both and see what works better)

i managed to extract a gball lens from a nugm01 diode with the first try,i used a multi grinder with very small cutting wheel cutting the metal on multiple spots,problem was that i accidentally touched the lens with the wheel and has a small scratch but that was my 1st try,if i try it again im pretty sure that will be like new.

edit: something else i tried and worked and was funny is that i tried one of the useless lenses that doesn't focus a laser properly from some old projectors as the first lens and did work as intended to just unfocus the gball,it even gave a small boost on the output vs the G2,anyway i don't want to confuse you so just aim to make it work with 2 G2 or 1 G2 and 1 3 element.

Last edited:
I'm also going to work with some larger dia. lenses to focus the power to a point in the far field for burning, but the uneven divergence of the horizontal and vertical axis is a limiting factor, however for 10 meters should be manageable.

Normally for a can/window diode like the 44 I use a 6x cylindrical pair after a G2 to correct the uneven divergence then a 3X beam expander and that works well, but for easy I like a primary followed by the 3XBE, I would like to find an easy solution to make use of the GBalls that have a poor factory focus, I thought I had tested a G2 followed by 3E before but was unable to get good enough results, but I will try again and I also want to use some larger lenses, I have a couple hundred but their focal lengths are not marked.

I really haven't sat and worked with GBalls that much, but I am tired of ripping off the cans and watching them dim down over a couple months of use so I am going to have to start working up some lens arrangements as I expect future higher output diodes may be GBalls.

We should be able to use just 1 larger dia. lens after the poorly focused GBalls and get a workable spot at 10 meters, but I expect an assortment will be needed as we cant adjust the GBall.

The PVC setup could work just like zooming to focus the raw output of a can/window diode, only I am not as concerned about dust getting on a GBall as a can's window.

12225-3inchslippvczoom2.jpg

Last edited: