Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How-To: Modify Thinkgeek's Pocket Laser Light Show

Amnizu

I guess it's less of a tutorial and more of a mod. I bought a Pocket Laser Show from Thinkgeek this summer, figuring it looked pretty cool for 15 bucks, and I could probably modify it with little difficulty. Well, that's exactly what I've done, and in this (very short) tutorial, I'll show you how stupidly easy it is to mod this thing.

First, we have the unit itself:

The red dials control the spyrograph in manual mode, and the two grey switches on top are to change the direction of the rotation of either of the two mirrors. On the bottom of the unit is the power switch, which has 3 settings; Off, Manual and Auto. Auto will, as you can guess, display a pre-programmed show every time, cycling through different patterns and stuff. It's not incredibly mind-blowing, as there are only 2 mirrors, but it works pretty well for 15 bucks. If you press the red button, its the same as switching it to Auto, except it stops as soon as you release the button.

quote thinkgeek:
ThinkGeek, How does it work?
Turn the unit on to either auto or manual mode. Optionally flip up the easel and just set it on the table projecting on a wall. The unit will automatically cycle through a myriad of pulsating patterns and shapes. This leaves your hands free for maximum beverage handling. Or if you want control, select manual mode and you can control via two switches and two rotating dials the precise pattern and rhythm that the red lasers display. The further you are holding the unit from wall or ceiling, the bigger the display will become. Hundreds of variations in the display are possible. Most are very spirographical and symmetrical patterns. Including a butt. Though some folks will mistake the butt for a lima bean, don't let them fool you. It's definitely a butt.

On the bottom are 4 screws, actually 5, but the fifth is for the battery compartment and doesnt need to be removed to take the thing apart. Remove all 4, and you'll be greeted by this:

I actually replaced the small 2-5mW red diode for this picture, you can see it on the top right, pointing toward the first mirror. It's usually screwed in, but I took it out and left it inside the case for the sake of being lazy. It's not like I'm gonna melt my case with a 5mw red, so whatever.

This picture shows the hole I dremeled in the side of the unit, so I can point my lasers in from outside, in the same way the original red diode was pointed at the mirror.

Probably the easiest mod I've ever done, so much so that I hesitate to even call it a mod. Actually finding the damn laser show in my house took longer than the actual process of modifying it. Take some screws out, use a dremel to carve out your desired hole size (I made mine a little bigger for my Spartan my 150mW Kryton blu-ray) and you're done.

lam3

Re: Tutorial: cheap spyrograph

As promised, nice thread. I think I'll order one soon. The modification looks very doable, even for me.

One more question, how heavy and stable is the laser show?

Amnizu

Re: Tutorial: cheap spyrograph

lam3 said:
As promised, nice thread. I think I'll order one soon. The modification looks very doable, even for me.

One more question, how heavy and stable is the laser show?

It's not very heavy, but it is weighed down in the middle of the base by 3x AAA batteries. Like the website says, it comes with a little flip-down stand so you can more easily project on the walls, or whatever it is you're projecting on. I've never had it tip over or fall or anything, it tends to stay put pretty well. Comes with a wrist strap too, which I removed, but could easily be left on. I also took the window out of mine, there is usually a plastic window where the laser exits. I just like the look.

Re: How-To: Modify Thinkgeek's Pocket Laser Light

Any pics of the show with your Blu-ray?

cool little setup and its cheap.

im making my own much smaller one :)

mine should be here tomorrow!

EDIT: never mind dhl shipped it today :mad:

got it and im gonna do the mod tomorrow

tomcat

i have one but i got it as a present from my missus so im not allowed to deconstruct it.. gona get a bigger "laser crab" from maplins or summat to rip apart i think you did that also andy?

sure did, its on my site under projects

tomcat

thought i saw it somewhere i know it wasnt my idea just not sure who i saw it from

just got mine from ebay.

Why not fire a second pocket projector into the hole of the first? Then you have a quad mirror spiro that's fully adjustable.