Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make LPM by myself?

I think LPM was too expensive to me, so I want to build one, but I don't know how to build, I take some arduino uno at my school. I need your help.

I think LPM was too expensive to me, so I want to build one, but I don't know how to build, I take some arduino uno at my school. I need your help.

After you build your LPM... you will need a way
to accurately calibrate it.
Just because you may be able to put one together
does nor mean it can accurately measure Laser Power
of many wavelengths and powers.

You should do some research and reading on the
Forum on DIY LPMs before seemingly asking to be
spoonfeed.

Jerry

Last edited:
In a nutshell:

Buy a photodiode with a large area (10mmx10mm f.e.),
use a resistor to measure the photo current and an spreadsheet to convert it to laser power as a function of the wl (depends on the photo diode material).

Singlemode

That reminded me I have such a photodiode stuck away somewhere in all my laser parts. Would make for a good project someday when I'm done with all my other projects.

OP--good luck--you know for only= $75usd you can have the Hyperion already calibrated and accurate for lasers up to 2000mW--send the maker another $75 & you get an unlock 'code' that upgrades you to measure lasers up to 20W...
may seem expensive but in comparison its a great deal...as no others are this inexpensive yet accurate.

Thermal LPM have a dead time and can not temporaly resolve fast fluctuations or even pulsed lasers, photo diodes can do that and cost just some $. There are pros and cons for both methods and depending on the application one of them could be superior over the other.

Singlemode

After you build your LPM... you will need a way
to accurately calibrate it.
Just because you may be able to put one together
does nor mean it can accurately measure Laser Power
of many wavelengths and powers.

You should do some research and reading on the
Forum on DIY LPMs before seemingly asking to be
spoonfeed.

Jerry
I was just gonna tell him to save up and get one from you :)

Thermal LPM have a dead time and can not temporaly resolve fast fluctuations or even pulsed lasers, photo diodes can do that and cost just some $. There are pros and cons for both methods and depending on the application one of them could be superior over the other.

Singlemode
That all depends on if he only wants to measure
Lasers under 1W....

I was just gonna tell him to save up and get one from you :)
He says he has no finances...:cryyy:
;)

Jerry

Last edited:
That all depends on if he only wants to measure
Lasers under 1W....

I am using an OD1 or an OD2 filter for higher powers and achieve an accuracy better than 10% (without spending too much time for calibration).

It really depends what your goal, budget and amount of time to spend is...

Singlemode

You can also use a beam splitter to attenuate the measured beam. There are many ways around the maximum input of your LPM.