Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to get started?

kokakolakias

Hey laser enthusiasts. I've been introduced to the wonderful world of lasers by Styropyro. I must say, I have no idea what safety precautions to take, what there are, laser types, how wavelength affects features of the lasers etc. I've had a couple of handheld (~5mW) green pointers in my life (I'm 16 years old) and i want to attempt to make a laser and in general get into the hobby. I don't plan on working with >5mW lasers so i dont think i have to purchase safety glasses, although as time passes i'll have to. That being said, can someone tell me what i need in the very beginning to build a very crude (working) laser and build my way up? Parts, machines and schematics are welcome.Thanks in advance for all your replies and I hope I'm welcome! 😁

Hey laser enthusiasts. I've been introduced to the wonderful world of lasers by Styropyro. I must say, I have no idea what safety precautions to take, what there are, laser types, how wavelength affects features of the lasers etc. I've had a couple of handheld (~5mW) green pointers in my life (I'm 16 years old) and i want to attempt to make a laser and in general get into the hobby. I don't plan on working with >5mW lasers so i dont think i have to purchase safety glasses, although as time passes i'll have to. That being said, can someone tell me what i need in the very beginning to build a very crude (working) laser and build my way up? Parts, machines and schematics are welcome.Thanks in advance for all your replies and I hope I'm welcome! 😁
Welcome to your new addiction! Pretty much everything you could ever want to know can be found on this site if you search long and hard enough. The rabbit hole is deep and I wish you luck.

kokakolakias

Welcome to your new addiction! Pretty much everything you could ever want to know can be found on this site if you search long and hard enough. The rabbit hole is deep and I wish you luck.
Haha, thank you. I've ordered a laser from my country's equivalent of amazon. It should be enough to give me that little push of confidence i need to fuel my addiction. My journey only begins from now, even though I've been stalking numerous of laser pages for some years now.

Encap

In the meantime study this site---best info on the web including eye safety calculations/explanation https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

Also study https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/classes-menu.html

Since you are a minor/under 18 let your parents know what you are doing. as they are responsible for whatever you do.Lasers are not toys,they are dangerous.
Accidents that can blind you forever happen in less than 0.25 seconds, the human blink reflex time
See: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Last edited:

Mr. Delirium

Welcome, I wish you well on your journey to building your own lasers and learning about optics, light, etc. This is a great place to look for information on lasers. That being said this is an 18+ forum for obvious safety reasons and I don't know If the mods will take action. It is also worth noting that this is an expensive hobby so if you don't have disposable income you will be limited (but not completely stopped) from making lasers.

kokakolakias

That being said this is an 18+ forum for obvious safety reasons and I don't know If the mods will take action.
Is it okay if i just participate and hang out? I fully acknowledge that lasers are indeed very dangerous and can cause major harm in a tiny amount of time. I don't plan on building any lasers before I learn how circuits and things work and I'm definitely not planning on building / using anything over 5mW because I know how dumb i am and how much damage i can cause, be it me, the house or anyone else on accident. My plan for now is to just lurk around and gather more and more information on the topic, like how to handle lasers with care, safety precautions and measures etc. I hope nothing happens to my account, but if anything does, it's completely understandable.

This is an amazing start we all bin in the same situation i believe nothing will happen to your account as this is the only way you will learn about lasers and the way the work and + more , You can not judge a book by its cover, I started messing around with laser's when i was like 12+ it's an learning experience you gain by time and years . The is a Search in the right corner you can find a lot of amazing information it can help you still help's me today,
And always use laser goggles when operating a laser.
And always remove batteries when not operating a laser.
And NEVER let anyone borrow your laser no matter how much the ask for ( Even if it's a girl it's a trap ). :alien:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Is it okay if i just participate and hang out? I fully acknowledge that lasers are indeed very dangerous and can cause major harm in a tiny amount of time. I don't plan on building any lasers before I learn how circuits and things work and I'm definitely not planning on building / using anything over 5mW because I know how dumb i am and how much damage i can cause, be it me, the house or anyone else on accident. My plan for now is to just lurk around and gather more and more information on the topic, like how to handle lasers with care, safety precautions and measures etc. I hope nothing happens to my account, but if anything does, it's completely understandable.
You seem mature enough. We can bend the rules a little ;)

julianthedragon

This is a great place to lurk around and gather info. Also might be worth mentioning, if you get to building a laser be careful that you can't/don't accidentally overdrive the diode and output >5mw. Diodes can simply burn out when supplied too much current but you should check the specs of the specific diode

Welcome to the LPF. I'm glad to hear you are only using very low power lasers for now. You can pick up ones under 1 mW in the U.S. is stores, but getting ones more powerful is usually a mail order item. Good luck to you.

Eidetical

I'd recommend contacting the Helenic Institute of Holography in Athens. They may be able to point you toward a local and practical path for you to take in your education to work with lasers in whatever field you eventually choose to enter. Their focus is on holography but they also build their own laser systems. http://www.hih.org.gr/en.html