Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to contact jetlasers, 2.5W not blasting black balloon

Djphy

Hi,

I received a 2.5W 980nm infrared laser pointer. But it doesn't blast a black balloon from 1m away. I have seen videos on YouTube where ppl blast black balloons from 15feet away using a 2W laser pointer. I'm depressed by my pointer performance.

I am purchasing a lpm, it will arrive in an another 10 days. So that I can check it's actual power.

I have written mails to support@jetlasers.com, no response from them. Such bad customer service. Sanwu and Sky laser reply so quickly. I'm very happen with them.

How do I now contact jetlasers, I want return/replace this product if in case I found laser output is less than 2.5W.

Please help 😭

Did you focus the beam on the balloon? I suppose that might be hard to do, since you can't see it. Black might not be the best color for 980 nm, I am not sure which is for absorption at IR.

Sometimes JL answers quickly, sometimes it takes days and followup emails to get their attention.

Reactions: GSS

Encap

How old are you? LOL

You might try JetLasers actual email address instead of the address in your post.
JetLasers correct email address appears twice on every page of the JetLasers web site at top of every page upper left side and at bottom of the page lower right side along with their phone number---for starters. Go look at JetLasers web site.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen pass filters for infrared? They are black... your beam might be shooting through the balloon. Maybe this idea is a stretch, depends upon the pigments used in the balloon.

Djphy

How old are you? LOL

You might try JetLasers actual email address instead of the address you invented in your post.
JetLasers correct email address appears twice on every page of the JetLasers web site at top of every page upper left side and at bottom of the page lower right side along with their phone number---for starters. Go look at JetLasers web site.

Hmm, I'm 28. I mailed jetlasers@gmail.com

Djphy

Did you focus the beam on the balloon? I suppose that might be hard to do, since you can't see it. Black might not be the best color for 980 nm, I am not sure which is for absorption at IR.

Sometimes JL answers quickly, sometimes it takes days and followup emails to get their attention.
Im using an ir camera to see the beam, yes the beam is on the balloon. Is there any button on the pointer to work in full power mode

Djphy

I
Have you ever seen pass filters for infrared? They are black... your beam might be shooting through the balloon. Maybe this idea is a stretch, depends upon the pigments used in the balloon.
I checked with a white paper as well, it didn't even burn a hole from 10cm away, and I'm depressed right now.

Out of interest - why did you go for an infrared laser? The danger with a high-powered invisible laser is far greater, as you can't see it to avoid it properly! I hope you're equipped with a quality pair of goggles designed to block infra-red wavelengths that you wear at ALL times the laser is powered on. Other issues with IR is the absorbtion as others have mentioned. There may not be anything up with your laser, but do wait to hear back from JetLasers before doing anything hasty...

GSS

Have you tried burning on anything else, like a match or popsicle stick?
Should give you a idea if it's under performing.

Djphy

Out of interest - why did you go for an infrared laser? The danger with a high-powered invisible laser is far greater, as you can't see it to avoid it properly! I hope you're equipped with a quality pair of goggles designed to block infra-red wavelengths that you wear at ALL times the laser is powered on. Other issues with IR is the absorbtion as others have mentioned. There may not be anything up with your laser, but do wait to hear back from JetLasers before doing anything hasty...

Hmm, sure, they did reply on jetlasers@gmail.com . Yes I do have a goggles from laserlands to block off infrared. I hope it's doing it's job. Reason is I wanted to pop off balloons invisibly like a magician. I am not sure y it burn a hole in the paper from 10cm apart. Very depressing

Djphy

Have you tried burning on anything else, like a match or popsicle stick?
Should give you a idea if it's under performing.
Hmm, it didn't even burn a hole in a paper from 10cm apart. May be I'll wait for the lpm. Are there any switch to put it into full power mode though?

Try light brown cardboard and see if it compares to this. Notice how he moves the cardboard in and out so that he reaches the focal point to burn, otherwise it doesn't do very well, if at all.

Last edited:

Djphy

Try light brown cardboard and see if it compares to this. Notice how he moves the cardboard in and out so that he reaches the focal point to burn, otherwise it doesn't do very well, if at all.

Hmm interesting, thanks, the guy didn't burn the white paper though with the infrared version

Yea, I saw that too. I'm not impressed with the burning ability of 2 to 3 watts of 980 nm. I've burned things with 808 nm at 40 watts, and that I was impressed with, but you can't use it if anyone else is in the room without goggles.