Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to charge my battery

So my laser just started to die (have been using it on and off for about 3-4 days now) So i thought maybe it was just the battery. I put the battery in the charger about 5 min ago. Idk what kind of battery it is, and im not sure how to check the voltage or however you measure batteries.

Kind of a noob here. Any help?

Edit: The battery says "Li-ion 16340 3.6v 1000mAh"

udanis

So my laser just started to die (have been using it on and off for about 3-4 days now) So i thought maybe it was just the battery. I put the battery in the charger about 5 min ago. Idk what kind of battery it is, and im not sure how to check the voltage or however you measure batteries.

Kind of a noob here. Any help?

Edit: The battery says "Li-ion 16340 3.6v 1000mAh"

Well maybe the charger brand/model would help?

Hmm. If you don't know how to measure the voltage of a battery then maybe you shouldn't be playing with lasers that are potentially harmful to yourself or others.

Get a new battery and charger? That should work.

If these are the battery and charger that you got with the laser when you bought it, it should be the appropriate ones. Just be patient and wait until the battery is fully charged and then try operating your laser again.
I assume most likely this is the 'problem' with your laser.

Yes, i got the battery WITH my laser (purchased my laser from O-like, 100mw greenie) and it came with a charger.

I guess my main concern was that i've heard people overcharge their batteries. And im pretty sure mine doesn't indicate if the battery is fully charged or not, it jsut has a green LED light saying it's charging.

The Green light should indicate that either the battery is charged or it's not making contact. You should get a red light until the battery charges then it changes to green. It should also be green until you insert the battery.

It's also possible he's discharged the battery too far and the charger doesn't recognize it anymore. I think most li-ion chargers won't charge a battery that's dropped below 2.5v or so.

Certainly if it is an El-CheapO that came with the Laser. You need a smart charger to get deeply discharged batteries to charge.

I got the DX cheapy to charge an 18650 that I forgot about.
It was in a flashlight and by the time I remembered, the light was just bright enough to see that it was still "on".
Immediately threw it on the charger, put the charger in a cast iron pot, put the pot on the welding table, and threw a kevlar sheet that I use to protect stuff from weld splatter over the whole thing.
It sounded like it was venting for about 1/2 hour and then charged up to 4.15V just fine.
Probably didn't do the cell any good though :crackup:
For the price of the cheap charger, I was kinda hoping it would blow up ^_^