Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to buy a laser power meter?

Hi, Ive been browsing the forum since a while ago and reading mostly about lasers. Ive got a couple of lasers a 1W 445nm from yobresal and a 200mw green one. Now Id like to get a LPM but I dont really now what to look for when buying one.

Ive read the laserbee is a really good one but what do i have to look for if im looking for other models or brands for example on ebay or other websites. Does every LPM have to be calibrated? Im a total newbie regarding LPM so Id really appreciate some help, thanks

Short answer .... Yes a Laser Power Meter needs to be calibrated
or it would have no accuracy to measure Laser Power.
It is like using a Thermometer without numbers on the scale to let
you know the true temperature.

You can do an eBay search for Laser Power Meter to get results
for LPMs available... Read the descriptions. A lot of LPMs are sold
untested.... As is... and/or without Sensor Heads.

You can also do a Google search for Laser Power Meter Price to
see what new professional LPMs are and selling for.

Jerry

TuhOz

Just what Jerry said...

But you should really buy a Laserbee LPM... Its one of the best
:beer:

rhd

All LPMs need to be calibrated, but you can buy them pre-calibrated.

At the sub $150 range, the LaserBees are basically it. They're the only consistently available new LPM in the under-$150 price range.

If you're willing to spend ~$225, you can get a much better LPM by buying an Ophir calibrated sensor, and using two 9V batteries and a DMM.

jimdt7

I think he shouldnt spend so much money for a LPM. I suggest you to buy the Laserbee 2.5W usb which i have and it is great. Also it is very high quality !

All LPMs need to be calibrated, but you can buy them pre-calibrated.

At the sub $150 range, the LaserBees are basically it. They're the only consistently available new LPM in the under-$150 price range.

If you're willing to spend ~$225, you can get a much better LPM by buying an Ophir calibrated sensor, and using two 9V batteries and a DMM.

I was thinking of this option. Buy the thermopile head and hook it up to a DMM
Molectron PM 150-19B Laser Power Meter Detector | eBay

1-10 WATT LASER POWER METER DETECTOR | eBay

I guess is not that simple to do it and im not an expert with electronics..

Now its between the usb version and the laserbee A
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...-meter-68597.html?highlight=laser+power+meter

which one would you get?

Last edited:
I was thinking of this option. Buy the thermopile head and hook it up to a DMM
Molectron PM 150-19B Laser Power Meter Detector | eBay

1-10 WATT LASER POWER METER DETECTOR | eBay

I guess is not that simple to do it and im not an expert with electronics..

Now its between the usb version and the laserbee A
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...-meter-68597.html?highlight=laser+power+meter

which one would you get?
I own the laserbee A and I love it. If you want to graph the power on your computer the USB is obviously the way to go but if that isn't really important to you than the laserbee A is unbeatable IMO

I just burned up an old surplus Lab lpm and replaced it with a LaserBee 2.5W USB. I get tighter (more consistant over time) readingd from the LaserBee than I used to get from the Lab meter. LaserBee Is definitely the way to go, in my book. If you buy a tp head and hookit up t a DMM, most likely the only thing you'll read is the rfi inducted from the lights.

Note to a friend: RHD, NO, all LPM's do NOT need to be calibrated. They (the older, bulkier units) make great Door Stops when uncalibrated.....

I own the laserbee A and I love it. If you want to graph the power on your computer the USB is obviously the way to go but if that isn't really important to you than the laserbee A is unbeatable IMO

Thank you. Im getting an ophir head. I just watched some videos and reviews about it and definitely its what im looking for, fast response and portability since I dont have a laptop but I wish it had a graph feature

Thank you. Im getting an ophir head. I just watched some videos and reviews about it and definitely its what im looking for, fast response and portability since I dont have a laptop but I wish it had a graph feature

I wish they made the graphing software for mac. I was originally going to get a laserbee with USB compatibility until I realized there was no software for the mac. I've been running macs since the early 90's and even though just about everything these days is also available for macs not everything is. I remember when it was MUCH MUCH worse when it came to finding popular programs and software for macs. But either I think you will be very happy with laserbee products. I don't think I have ever seen a complaint about anything laserbee products.

I wish they made the graphing software for mac. I was originally going to get a laserbee with USB compatibility until I realized there was no software for the mac. I've been running macs since the early 90's and even though just about everything these days is also available for macs not everything is. I remember when it was MUCH MUCH worse when it came to finding popular programs and software for macs. But either I think you will be very happy with laserbee products. I don't think I have ever seen a complaint about anything laserbee products.

you can run windows on a virtual machine or even better, install it on the latest mac computers, having dual boot for both systems

Lase

What's the difference between a Radient Alpha and a LaserBee?

I'm looking at both because it's time I got a LPM.

Lase

It can be added....

What's the difference between a Radient Alpha and a LaserBee?
I'm looking at both because it's time I got a LPM.

Lase
Depends on which LaserBee model you are referring to.
We have 5 different models as of today...

2W LaserBee A
2.5W LaserBee USB
2.1W LaserBee IX
3.2W LaserBee II
5W Limited Edition LaserBee

Each have their own features and specifications.

Jerry

Last edited: