Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to build an Arctos multi diode array

Very nice guide you have there! I guess as long as his name is attached to it in some way....

I'm simply awestruck!

Never have I seen such a beast.

I think I'm starting to see the appeal of projectors.

That is, without a doubt, the coolest thing I've seen in a very long time. EF, I think it's time to update that picture in your album.

ped

Well played Andy.

Clearly a lot of time gone into that, i can only imagine the alignment headache you had with that.

I'm seriously gonna give the knife edging a go with a few 445,s and i'll be calling on your expertise.

Bravo.

I think it's a very impressive bit of work!!

Seems a very pragmatic way to get a lot of red. However combining dozens of 1/10 to 1/5 watt diode lasers to get 5-6 watts of red this way must be a lot of work. You do get quite a bit of redundancy though - even if a few of the diodes expire during a show I doubt it would be noticeable.

I don't completely understand the concept though.. I'm assuming the ideal is to align all of the individual diode spots into an ordered raster, and that then gets shrunk down by some optics to an approximated single laser spot? From a distance > 20 meters the spot looks uniform and gaussian! Since each each individual singlemode diode laser has decent beam quality I imagine this method may have advantages over attempting to tame multiple multimode diode beams similarly.

About Arctos, sounds like you had some drama them - care to elaborate what happened?

I think it's a very impressive bit of work!!

Seems a very pragmatic way to get a lot of red. However combining dozens of 1/10 to 1/5 watt diode lasers to get 5-6 watts of red this way must be a lot of work. You do get quite a bit of redundancy though - even if a few of the diodes expire during a show I doubt it would be noticeable.

I don't completely understand the concept though.. I'm assuming the ideal is to align all of the individual diode spots into an ordered raster, and that then gets shrunk down by some optics to an approximated single laser spot? From a distance > 20 meters the spot looks uniform and gaussian! Since each each individual singlemode diode laser has decent beam quality I imagine this method may have advantages over attempting to tame multiple multimode diode beams similarly.

About Arctos, sounds like you had some drama them - care to elaborate what happened?

maybe i need to add a little bit more info onto the page. but you over lap each beam at distance to get a nice tight spot.

as your over lapping each beam in theory you can add as many diodes as you want cos you will only increast the size at aperture. at distance you will only have one spot.

ive had no beef with arctos yet, but they are well known for throwing their weight around.

Still trying to understand the concept. I see that you are ordering all the individual laser spots into some sort of grid. Two parallel grids actually, one of which gets it polarization flipped (90 degree offset between fast and slow diode axis.. or 180??). At that point I'm not certain what's happening. Is that grid somehow shrunk down and projected, or is each element (diode) in the grid of spots brought to a common focus??

I'll do some more reading when I've got time. This is an excellent idea for a projector, however if I understand this correctly it wouldn't make an outstanding burning laser.

Still trying to understand the concept. I see that you are ordering all the individual laser spots into some sort of grid. Two parallel grids actually, one of which gets it polarization flipped (90 degree offset between fast and slow diode axis.. or 180??). At that point I'm not certain what's happening. Is that grid somehow shrunk down and projected, or is each element (diode) in the grid of spots brought to a common focus??

what?

you can see the beams are going through telescopics to shrink them down

I'll do some more reading when I've got time. This is an excellent idea for a projector, however if I understand this correctly it wouldn't make an outstanding burning laser.

wtf... you dont spemd 6months designing a laser, a few months to build it and ££££ to fucking burn somehting with it.