Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How To Anodize Aluminum

MadEye

Very nice guide...^^

When I started anodizing I found a very nice german shop which also had all needed tutorials on their page, which helped me a lot.

Maybe a few things I might suggest:

Using Aluminum for your contact points is the easiest way, but If you are going to anodize several parts you should really think about buying some pure titanium wires and parts. These do not react with the acid or passivate, as far as they dont loose contact to the part while current floating... Also you can use a sheet of titanium as your cathode.

To determine the time I found a rule which says 100 cm^2 need 60 Minutes at 1.5A. Since many laser builders have some constant current power supplys this should be worth mentioning.

When I anodized big parts, I had to go to 10A current for severel hours. At such currents the sulfiric acid will get very hot and dissolve the anodizing so you end up with nothing, no matter how long you wait. So I always place my Sulfiric Acid Tank in a bath of iced water (Not just ice on top, first filled with ice from bottom to top and then filled with water...^^) to keep the sulfiric acid at less then 10°C... No matter if you are anodizing with 1A or 10A this will prevent the sulfiric Acid from dissolving the anodizing layer and result in thicker and nicer layers.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing this with us. I really hope to do some of this someday.
+1 also :)

Pilgor

When are you going to get around to the "how to anodize with effects" vid?

Within another day or two I'll have some more anodizing videos.

EDIT : The fourth video is added to the first post.

Last edited:

Pilgor

Great 4th vid. Doing the effects were easier then I thought it would be.

The effects aren't too difficult. I'll be doing another video on the dye techniques soon.

Let us know how it goes. Do test pieces to get used to the process. Make sure everything is clean and that ventilation is good.