Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How should I mount a TEC on a Dorcy Jr Torch

Basically, I have a small tec with a heatsink got glued onto it, how should I mount the tec to the dorcy flashlight ?

pics would help, but mounting tecs in a flashlight is hard because of the nature of tecs being flat

okay, ill get some pics up in a bit, only of the tec tho, cos the dorcy still has to arrive

I was thinking of just tieing it on the torch

i'm assuming the "got glued" was a typo for "hot glued".... umm you do realize how this is going to hurt you in the long run right?

yeah uhh, hot glue is not a very good conductor of heat, i hope you can pry it off and put some proper thermal epoxy on it

most to the point was how hot glue....well reacts to heat =)

but yes it's not a good conductor of heat. sure it absorbs heat, but it doesn't transfer heat for crap.

Things

lol afetr a while of run time, if it did use hot glue, your heatsink would just fall off, and you tec will get hot on both sides, not good!

yeah, the tec will be on the outside of the torch, so I don't think the hot glue will be a problem, also, what i have done is put the tec on the heatsink, then put spots of glue in the corner to hold it on

happytomato said:
yeah, the tec will be on the outside of the torch, so I don't think the hot glue will be a problem, also, what i have done is put the tec on the heatsink, then put spots of glue in the corner to hold it on

The hot glue will be a problem. A peliter TEC is not magic, it's just a heat pump. it moves the heat from the cold side to the hot side, but only if the hot side is cool enough. If the hot is too hot, then the TEC is a heater and will make your laser hotter that without it. ;)

Gazoo

happytomato,
Get some thermal compound and do it the correct way. Recommended is arctic silver thermal adhesive, but there are others. If you don't listen to what others are trying to convey to you, your happy tomato will end up being sad.. :)

I have some thermal epoxy, ill use that, but this still doesnt solve the problem on how to attatch the tec and heatsink to the torch, also, if is on the outside of the torch, willl it give enough benifit to be worth having ?

Gazoo

The only way I can think of to do this is to make a small cube for the aixiz module, and mount the peltier to the cube. Then mount up everything else. If you run short duty cycles you will not need a big heatsink on the peltier's hot side. Some creativity is going to be involved with a project like this....good luck... :)

Krutz

for small thermal loads as a laserdiode (max one watt heat, that is), you only need a tiny TEC. the smallest you will find should be fine in fact!
i just had an idea:
mount the diode into a cube, as gazoo suggested. or into a normal round (aizix) mount and that onto a cubic piece of metal with a hole. then cut open your flashlight, so the tec sticks to the diode-mount and has its hot side outside. that would look quite cool i think, and would cool great! you could even *insulate* between the diode and the flashlight, with hotglue for example *smile*, so you only cool the diode. its important to have good thermal connections, so put thermal compound between the round casing and the block, and thermal-epoxy the peltier to it. as important as that: as little distance between the parts as possible!

now if you find a peltier with the size of the flashlight, and insulate/connect everything good, and regulate the power to the diode and peltier proper.. then that will be one of the most awesome "pointers" seen! :)

so.. PICS! MORE!

manuel