Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much Volts and mAh can I out into a 5 mW green laser

Hi all
I'm a newbie and got a new sky laser and I wanted to know how much is the max input for a 532nm 5mW green Laser. I want to know this because I put my laser to a positive and negative wire and that gave it 5V and it work amazing so I was wondering how much is the max V on this laser

Thanks

diachi

Hi all
I'm a newbie and got a new sky laser and I wanted to know how much is the max input for a 532nm 5mW green Laser. I want to know this because I put my laser to a positive and negative wire and that gave it 5V and it work amazing so I was wondering how much is the max V on this laser

Thanks

Really you shouldn't go above whatever voltage the batteries are supposed to supply it with or whatever voltage it's rated for assuming it's a module and not a complete pointer. Otherwise you risk killing it. We can't really tell you how much it can take, all we can tell you is that you might kill it if you supply it with too much voltage.

Last edited:
Thank for the quick reply
Well the batterys I use are 1.5V and the laser doesn't work properly it is just a small tiny dot that's when I thought about the max V so I can buy a different battery with a better V

diachi

Thank for the quick reply
Well the batterys I use are 1.5V and the laser doesn't work properly it is just a small tiny dot that's when I thought about the max V so I can buy a different battery with a better V

Have you checked to see that the batteries are actually supplying 1.5V? I assume there are two - so it probably needs 3V total. Even if it's working at 5V you may be drastically reducing the life of your laser. Then again you may not, that's the risk you take by running things above what they are rated for. Impossible to say really.

Better off just to buy a better laser... :whistle:

I'm thinking in buying some Panasonic Eneloop Pro AAA Batteries for the laser is this ok or is there something better

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The Eneloops are great batteries but they have a lower voltage than regular alkaline batteries. Get some AAA nickel-zinc batteries, and a charger for them. These have a rated output of 1.6 volts.

The Eneloops are great batteries but they have a lower voltage than regular alkaline batteries.

If the laser has a LDO regulator (if it isn't garbage, it will), 2.4V is plenty. Any more voltage will just be dumped as heat. Let's not dispense advice without knowing the parameters.

diachi

If the laser has a LDO regulator (if it isn't garbage, it will), 2.4V is plenty. Any more voltage will just be dumped as heat. Let's not dispense advice without knowing the parameters.

Clearly 2.4v isn't plenty and the extra voltage isn't dumped just as heat. See below quotes. Crap tier Chinese $5 pointer no doubt.

Well the batterys I use are 1.5V and the laser doesn't work properly it is just a small tiny dot

I want to know this because I put my laser to a positive and negative wire and that gave it 5V and it work amazing so I was wondering how much is the max V on this laser

Last edited:

To be honest I have no idea what that means as I said I'm a newbie.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Another possible issue is that the batteries Lolegend was using couldn't supply enough current. The NiZn or the eneloops won't have that issue. My EDC laser is a 520 in a pen build. Alkaline batteries are fine for everyday pointing use but the regulator can't drive the diode at rated power unless I use NiZn. NiMH @ 2.4v isn't enough.

Another possible issue is that the batteries Lolegend was using couldn't supply enough current. The NiZn or the eneloops won't have that issue. My EDC laser is a 520 in a pen build. Alkaline batteries are fine for everyday pointing use but the regulator can't drive the diode at rated power unless I use NiZn. NiMH @ 2.4v isn't enough.

I was using energizer 1.5V AAA batteries

I'm thinking building my own laser but with a violet diode around 5 mW+ for cheap any help for that btw I'm in the UK not alot of laser stuff here.

GSS

Since all seem to think its $5 ebay 532 are you giving these batteries a chance as it could take up to 30 seconds for this laser to peak assuming the batteries are fresh.
Also a violet "405nm" i'm guessing won't be visible at 5mw+, just a dim dot.

Last edited:

Encap

Hi all

Thanks

Can you put up an image of the laser you are talking about and a link to where you bought it from--the seller?
There are several places that call a laser pen a "sky laser"

Would give people a better idea of what it really is and is not.

Basically you get what you pay for in lasers as is the case in every other catagory of items people buy.

Last edited:
Since all seem to think its $5 ebay 532 are you giving these batteries a chance as it could take up to 30 seconds for this laser to peak assuming the batteries are fresh.
Also a violet "405nm" i'm guessing won't be visible at 5mw+, just a dim dot.

Yep I do give it at least 1minute but nothing happens its the same.

Could you help me in finding a good laser diode that you can actually see the beam of either green or violet and not that expensive.

Could you help me in finding a good laser diode that you can actually see the beam of either green or violet and not that expensive.

Even the best violet diode we have right now (around 1 watt) is hard to see the beam in a dark room. Even more so if you happen to be one of the people who's eyes don't pick up on the 405nm wavelength very well.
Most any green diode you get you'll be able to see a beam in a dark room.
Check out DTR's sale page on here to get a good idea of some commonly accessible diodes available.