Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much of an upgrade is a quality 16340?

So, I have a blue gatling laser. The included batteries are really bad, and I am thinking of buying quality ones. Just how much of an upgrade would this be, considering that the power output starts to decrease after less than a minute of continuous usage with the included batteries? Could they last 10 minutes at full power?

"really bad" is not quantitative, and therefore useless at making a quantitative prediction about increased runtime. Have you measured the capacity or the ESR?

However, if the cells you linked actually have a capacity of 850mAh and actually have an esr under 65mΩ, they will indeed power a 1W blue for over 10 minutes. Perhaps several times that depending on the driver design.

gazer101

If you can fit 18350s into your laser (they are 18mm in diameter, 16340s are 16mm), go with those instead as they tend to have higher capacity

Snecho

"really bad" is not quantitative, and therefore useless at making a quantitative prediction about increased runtime. Have you measured the capacity or the ESR?

However, if the cells you linked actually have a capacity of 850mAh and actually have an esr under 65mΩ, they will indeed power a 1W blue for over 10 minutes. Perhaps several times that depending on the driver design.
^^^Exactly

Also must be mentioned there is no way you can run a gatling laser for 10 minutes straight without it overheating.

I don't have the equipment to measure that. They are LC brand, rated for 1300mAh (obviously not true), weigh only 13g compared to 18g for quality batteries, and charge fully in only half an hour. The ones I linked are truly 850mAh up to 1A, from HKJ's test over on BudgetLightForum. Thanks for the info about them lasting 10 minutes.

If you can fit 18350s into your laser (they are 18mm in diameter, 16340s are 16mm), go with those instead as they tend to have higher capacity

No, they won't fit. I tried to put in an 18650 to test this, the hole is too tight.

^^^Exactly

Also must be mentioned there is no way you can run a gatling laser for 10 minutes straight without it overheating.

I know, I am talking about total usage respecting the duty cycle, should have made that clear. With the included bateries, the laser beam weakens very quickly if I keep it on, in way less than a minute in fact, but if I use it in short bursts of a couple of seconds and turn it off for a couple of minutes it stays at full power for much longer.