Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many diodes have you killed?

Probably at least 5. These were not Senkat diodes though, they were 635 and 660 nm diodes that I purchased used. And the ones I killed were all my fault, I was trying to push them over spec. Low power diodes tend not to have as much latitude for over powering compared to DVD diodes.

I've got a couple diodes from the SenKat GB. I'm actually thinking of ordering the $50.00 Meredith high power LD supply and then not pushing over 300 mA through them.. Hopefully will not kill any

$50.00 is WAY too much for me to spend on a simple LD PSU when the circuit Daedal posted does such a perfect job on the >$10.00 cheap.

I'm just glad I don't feel quite as bad now at sending a few good diodes to their deaths.
:'( :'( BTW, That make three for me. Just toasted an old 8X. It was driven for maybe a total of 1 hour at 120mA, but maybe it was it's time.

Wait... 3V? 1.5A is killing these diodes?

So it's not okay just to hook them up to 110 AC?

EDIT: (snort...) I keed I keed... ;D

Well, I wouldn't use 110VAC as it might not reach threshold, better to use your favorite two legs off the nearest 3-phase xfmr.
LOL

I killed my blu-ray in a quite...... brute way. :p
My potentiometer blew and 6W ran into the diode killing it in an instant. I really shouldn't get a blu-ray for the first try..

Benm

With the GB diodes, you're on your own over about 250 mA.

Actually, you're already at double the guaranteed CW current at that point. The datasheet specifies 80 mW @ 130 mA, ambient temperature. Personally i feel comfortable with 200 mA continous operation, and 250 mA for tens of seconds at least.

With the GB diodes, you're on your own over about 250 mA.

Still a waste really, they survive perfectly well when you press them out with a dowel using a vice.

Gazoo

things said:
hmmmm everyones potentiometers seem to be blowing LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not mine..but then I am using a rheostat actually.. ;D

Just killed 2 diodes yesterday - maybe 15-20 total...

(only 5 of my 20 GB diodes though)

ixfd64

I haven't killed any yet. But then again, I've never tried making my own lasers.

Things

20 GB diodes? :eek:? lol you have a fair chance at getting a couple to work! lol ;D ;D

LarryQ

My personal record is 3 in a single "Harvest" session....All in the same afternoon....

Note...Open can diodes don't care much for being SHOT across the desk desoldering the Mylar leads off their backs!

Nor do they much care for being CRUSHED in a pair of needle nosed pliers being held by your Lovely assistant (also desoldering the Mylar leads).

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Larry

Gazoo

Well chock up another one fore me....it was an open can too. I have no idea what went wrong..it worked just before I freed it from the heatsink.

Things

6 would be nice!! although when i get my GB diodes, i don't think i'll be pushing that much, since i just want a high powered red!!