Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

How lasers pointer shape tips work ?

FractalBuddha

Is someone know exactly how the shapes are made for the lasers toys ?
On the right you can see what the transparent tip look like trough a microscope. There is no visible pattern of the butterfly. I can only see squared patterns.

My guess is that its works with constructive and destructive interference of the light, like with a diffracting gating. It should be very complicated to calculate !

7414638544_3064754202_c.jpg

scopeguy20

Nice pics, you can search / look up holography, it should explain how the diffraction can do a pic. ;) -GH

BShanahan14rulz

I can imagine your next question will be how to make these yourself, that's what I want to know too. Maybe etching some plastic with an interference pattern of the illuminated 2D design with a reference beam? Wonder if the setup is like a typical transmission hologram but with a beefier laser?

Eudaimonium

I think those work like any other diffraction grating used, just except they don't make matrix dot pattern, they arrange the dots into whatever shape you have already, like a butterfly, little heart of a middle finger :p I had one of those too.

'Tis not that very complicated, if it were, they wouldn't be handed out by the dozen along with $1.50 laser pointers.

FractalBuddha

Me too, I am pretty sure it is diffraction pattern. I wonder if they calculate the matrix and print it from numeric data or they print it like an hologram from the original shape.
I think they calculate it.

I am curious of the maths behind all this and the physics. I know what is interference and how its works in general, but his seam to me more complicated.

If someone have a paper on the subject or a web site, it could be nice.

phosphoressential

'Tis not that very complicated, if it were, they wouldn't be handed out by the dozen along with $1.50 laser pointers.

In economies of scale, this logic is not always true. These interference patterns are very precise, small, and take a healthy amount of computing. They, like accelerometers, lithium batteries, and tiny cameras, are all produced at such a scale that they have become very cheap to make on long lived machines.

Eudaimonium

In economies of scale, this logic is not always true. These interference patterns are very precise, small, and take a healthy amount of computing. They, like accelerometers, lithium batteries, and tiny cameras, are all produced at such a scale that they have become very cheap to make on long lived machines.

While my post may not have been overly accurate, I don't think its correction is worth a necropost on a 5 and a half year old thread.