Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

How laser diode drivers work; An Explanatory Thread

benmwv

I have an lt3083 board designed, and i have blank pcbs for it in a box somewhere. I never got around to testing it because they are big, inefficient, and expensive. They have a cool adjustment mechanism, but they aren't really good for a laser driver unless you are planning a labby.

If you are interested in the lt3083 I could try to find the pcbs and mail you one, or at least email you the design so you can get pcbs made.

tony1

rhd,
you have a good point there, I think it needs further discussion and verified .

Pman

Realize this is old but nice write-up. I'm in Rochester, N.Y. by the way;)

Pete

DalDames

Hi everyone..i am new here. As per my knowledge LM317 driver, the voltage just follows the IV curve of the diode, and will end up being whatever that particular diode drops at the current you've set it to. So if you set your current on a test load with the wrong voltage drop, it shouldn't matter.However, one scenario in which it WOULD change, would be if your driver didn't actually have enough input voltage to handle the laser diode's Vf + its own dropout, but DID have enough input voltage to handle the test load's drop + its own dropout. In this scenario, you'd find that the actual current once connected to a real laser diode, would be lower.

pcb assembly services

Last edited: