Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How good are these goggles for 200mW?

OD 2 goggles dampen the light 10^2=100 times. For alignment purposes you can go up to 1 mw safely, so I'd say up to 100mw. But that's regulations. Stretching it a little can be done, but using 200mw may get 2mw in your eye. Average laser pointers may even get that high on fresh batteries, so it's not a that big problem. 200mw wouldn't melt the goggles too fast, but you're good on your way to class IV, the fire hazard kind.

Those goggles new are pricey, if you're paying full price you can go for OD 3, making it safe without worries. But you'd see 10 times less of the laser. And the goggles are 2+, a little above two. For lab uses, go a little higher in OD. For fun: you're even looking for proper goggles, you'll do quite nicely with these!

better safe than sorry, that's right. OD 3 I think will be enough I think, it even lowers it enough to fall within aligment regulations. OD 3.5 is for being completely sure and safe.

Arayan

Just looking at the graph and specs... they are useless for 532nm...
This is good point, and even superficially you can see that the lenses are green indicating that they aren't good to protect against the green lasers.

Indeed a good point, I didn't read the post that good, and I directly assumed a 650nm laser when seeing the rating of the goggles. Outside of the rating, it's no good.

500nm to 370nm? that's halfway blue to UV, is that a typo? Send a link which goggles you bought.