Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

How do you test your laser drivers?

RedCowboy

No quarrel just a little jocularity, I like to use solid copper wire that fits snug and a tiny bit of solder so I can remove the wires without plugging up the holes in the driver, but I have thought about making a jig just haven't done it, I enjoyed seeing your efforts.

reloader45

Hello,

attached you will find pictures of tmy laser driver test jig 2.0.
I like this construction, because it is simple to contact any driver with this jig.
I made the connection rods from 1,6 mm bronze TIG welding wire. This rods are hard enough to produce sufficient tension to the contact area.
Two contacts are fixed but swiveling, the other two contacts can be adjusted by slotted holes.
At the momenet, I am not sure how to wire the test jig, maybee I will solder the wires.

best regards

Edgar

IMG_0283.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpg

andrew_salinas

I use a Rigol DL3021 electronic load to test my drivers, but I'm also an electrical engineer so I use it for much more, and $500 may be a bit too much for a hobbyist. Alternatively, you could get a super cheap test load from amazon for about $30 but obviously the accuracy isn't as good though it will probably suffice for what you need it for.

Cyparagon

Electronic loads sometimes do not play well with switchmode supplies. Oscillations may amplify each other. This problem may worsen in the constant-voltage mode required of the load. Constant-resistance mode might be ideal to mitigate this, but the IV curves of resistors and laser diodes are quite different. Close enough? Maybe.

I've got 5 different lab-quality electronic loads at my home lab, but I've never used one for laser driver testing. Why not? Well, because a string of diodes is smaller, easier to configure, cheaper to replace if I mess something up, and just... works.

Very nice and the spring tension keeps contact. (y)
One spring for 2 contacts? I do not recommend.