Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do you know if you're buying a PHR-803T Diode

If all you have is just the diode, how can you tell you're really getting a PHR-803T?
Any marks to look for? Any telltales?

Or, are you just left to trusting that the seller is really selling what he says he is?

Re: How do you know if you're buying a PHR-803T Di

buy the whole sled, then you won't have to worry ;) other than that I don't have any useful advice :-[

Searched google and found this pic from LPF!! lol. There is that barcode on the diode if that can help at all
DSC00602.JPG

nvmextc said:
Searched google and found this pic from LPF!! lol. There is that barcode on the diode if that can help at all
DSC00602.JPG

Thanks man!
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

But other diodes may have barcodes on them as well, this isn't exclusive technology, you would need to read the barcode. There are clearer images of that PHR barcode on the diode as well that a member here photographed I just can't find any of them.

Actually, PHR-803T diodes are the cheapest 405nm diode. So you can't really get scammed; you either get a PHR-803T diode or something that's worth more. And it's almost always a PHR.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
Actually, PHR-803T diodes are the cheapest 405nm diode.  So you can't really get scammed; you either get a PHR-803T diode or something that's worth more.  And it's almost always a PHR.

-Mark

Oh.
Maybe I'm getting the part number wrong. Can you give me an example of a better 405nm diode in the same form factor?
I guess I thought, from the posts I've read here, that the PHR-803T was sort of the "standard" for making your own Blu Ray pointer.

I appreciate all the input. -SK

I guess I thought, from the posts I've read here, that the PHR-803T was sort of the "standard" for making your own Blu Ray pointer

PHRs are the standard, but there are also 4X burner diodes and most recently 6X. They cost a little more, but they all can be found for sale in the Group Buy or BST sections of ths forum.

ElektroFreak said:
I guess I thought, from the posts I've read here, that the PHR-803T was sort of the "standard" for making your own Blu Ray pointer

PHRs are the standard, but there are also 4X burner diodes and most recently 6X. They cost a little more, but they all can be found for sale in the Group Buy or BST sections of ths forum.

Other diodes:

KES-400 (PS3)- I don't know how much they sell for (maybe they're cheaper than the PHR's, I don't know), and they are capable of low powers, but not high ones. They are good for use in lecture pointers, but not good as burners. KES diodes have 5 pins.

DT-0811 - Capable of fair currents (I think 130mA is the upper limit), but they can often be "bluer" (and therefore brighter) than PHR diodes. I don't know how much they cost, but more than PHR diodes. Good if you like a bright beam.

GBW-H10N (4x)- Capable of higher currents than PHR diodes. They sell for about $40 in the GB section.

GGW-H20L (6x)- Capable of significantly higher currents than PHR diodes. They sell for about $50 in the GB section.

There are also other diodes, but those are the main ones. PHR diodes are the "standard" because they are versatile and cheap.

-Mark