Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I clean my laser lens well?

jdub

I have a leadlight pointer that I always get dust all over its lens. I have already taken it apart, so its not a problem of reaching the lens, it is a problem of always leaving streaks on the glass, so the dot has big cones of light coming off of it. The lens is not scratched, I just can't seem to get it perfectly clean without leaving streaks or a hazy fuzz all over it. Is there a product that I can buy or a specific cleaner and type of cloth I should use? Thanks in advance.

what have you been using? Ideally, you first blow off any particles with one of those cans of compressed air (dont use an air compressor - the compressed air can ensures you're using clean, particle free air). That way you dont end up sanding anything into the lens when you actually get to rubbing it with something.

Some people have different preferences - personally, I prefer a microfiber cloth. Just dampen it VERY lightly with the purest isopropyl alcohol you can find (almost any drug or grocery store will at least carry 70% as rubbing alcohol. 91% isn't too hard to find, and I like to get 99% from Tom Thumb/Safeway). Wipe it with the dampened part of the cloth a little, and then wipe it dry with a dry part of the cloth. That should do it as long as you haven't damaged the lens. Good luck.

PS: ethanol (IE everclear 190) or methanol also work if you have some lying around.

jdub

Thanks fellas! I usually just use a clean t-shirt and some windex style glass cleaner, and I can usually get it very clean but not perfect if I am patient, but 99% alcohol sounds like the way to go. What is 99% usually used for? Still rubbing alcohol? I've only ever seen up to 70% isopropyl; I'll have to keep my eyes open for some of the super-pure stuff. I would've never thought of using everclear. I'll have to pick up a microfiber lens cloth next time I go to the store. Can you get one anywhere cameras are sold?

If there's anti-reflective coatings, you might affect that on the lens, but I doubt it much matters on your pointer.