Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How can i make a red laser that WONT burn

I want to make a laser pointer that can shine really far, but i don't want it to produce any heat. i have seen some for sale, but those just have crazy prices. can any tell me how to make a laser that wont burn people's skin? ive already got in trouble once for shining it on some ones arm, so i just want a long range laser. To be quite honest, i don't even care if its a pink laser, just as long as it is bright and it goes far. :-X

Things

well green lasers are really visible for alot less power, why not get one of them??? if not, the only way i can really say is to have a wider beam?

green lasers?
ill check them out...
i always thought red lasers were more powerful...
ill check it out!

xarylx said:
If you want red get a 10mW module from aixiz or something.

I recommend green.
DealExtreme 10mW green laser
DealExtreme 5mW green laser
DealExtreme true 5mW green laser

All under $20 shipped. and much brighter than a red with visible beam at night with polluted skies. They don't burn and are cooler than reds IMO.

anyway when you collimate the beam of say a 50mW red it won't burn much.
I don't think you should get those keychain greenies cause they will only last a few minutes on those batteries, but I do reccomend the true pen style models. If it is your first time with a greenie, click on the last link xarylx posted, you won't be disapointed. To me a 150mW red dot looks about as bright as a 5mW green. If you want to try a brighter laser with a REALLY far distance try DX's 30 mW model, that shouldn't burn anything, you might be able to pop a balloon but if that is too much go with DX's 20 mW model.

I have a green 5 mW that was around $20 with shipping, It is visible over a mile I know, because my friend could see the beam on the church siding, accross the hill from me. Id hate to guess how far my 95 mW beam goes............ lol oh yea, and by the way the 5 mW green won't even burn a fly

Up to about 50mW of green won't burn your skin at all unless you have a dark complexion.

As far as red, I can't even burn my skin with 200mW. Just as long as you don't focus it, it won't burn much.

LarryQ

Just remember...burning is your least worry...

BLINDNESS is a serious consideration whith any laser >5mw

It is unavoidable....as brightness goes up...the potential for causing real harm to eyes becomes Possible/Probable with careless use...

Shining any laser at someone is foolish.

LarryQ

squeenburg said:
green lasers?
ill check them out...
i always thought red lasers were more powerful...
ill check it out!
hi, welcome to the forum! technically, a red 5mW and green 5mW are as powerful as each other, the colour doesn't affect anything except human perception. however, human eyes are something like 10 times as sensetive to green light as to red light, so the green 5mW will appear about 10 times as bright as the red 5mW, and you can actually see the beam itself rather than just the dot, though the beam is usually only visible in really dark conditions with such a low power.