Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How big is too big? Maybe this one is? Doesn't matter trinh hong phuoc will build it :)

Here's a big host to put a FAP800 laser diode in with the YVO4 crystal and optics from my ZLM cavity to produce SHG 532 nm green, just got the rest of this monster in the mail today from trinh hong phuoc, he can do what others won't, dream big and he builds big. Don't laugh, I know it's also unreasonably huge. OK, laugh :) I am.

That's a 3+ inch lens diameter beam expander on the end, the host is beautifully anodized. If the ZLM won't fit no worry, this is the small one he built for me, I have another just like it which has a cavity that is about an inch wider inside.

trephanation

If I read correctly about that FAP800 diode, that thing can do 16-30W? Pretty insane for a handheld single diode host. How much of that wattage would be green light?

What qualifies as huge? I have three this size and three an inch wider. I am not yet ready to say how much 532 nm green output power this will produce, the bottle neck is the YVO4 crystal, but I have some higher power ones than from the ZLM cavity. I could use a FAP at up to 50 watts of 808 nm to pump the YVO4 crystal, but the duty cycle would be very limited.

Last edited:

GSS

What qualifies as huge? I have three this size and three an inch wider. I am not yet ready to say how much 532 nm green output power this will produce, the bottle neck is the YVO4 crystal, but I have some higher power ones than from the ZLM cavity. I could use a FAP at up to 50 watts of 808 nm to pump the YVO4 crystal, but the duty cycle would be very limited.
You have another 3 even bigger????
I was putting the 2 or 3 I can't remember if they were copper?? hosts I last saw you post in the question. They were identical as far as I remember too.

I do have some copper hosts which aren't small, they are big for being copper, but not so huge compared to these. Yes, 3 of these and 3 more which are bigger to allow more room in the head, if needed. I didn't want to run out of big host projects for awhile, I think I have enough for another 10 years now.

I don't know if Trinh needs more business right now, but if anyone needs something unusual built he's great, this is his design, I just specified the cavity size and number of battery holders I wanted and supplied the beam expander PCX lens, he did the rest.

OUTSTANDING Job trinh-hong-phuoc! The post office crushed one of my boxes and cause some minor damage but overall I am very satisfied, I can fix the problems they caused.

Last edited:
I do have some copper hosts which aren't small, they are big for being copper, but not so huge compared to these. Yes, 3 of these and 3 more which are bigger to allow more room in the head, if needed. I didn't want to run out of big host projects for awhile, I think I have enough for another 10 years now.

I don't know if Trinh needs more business right now, but if anyone needs something unusual built he's great, this is his design, I just specified the cavity size and number of battery holders I wanted and supplied the beam expander PCX lens, he did the rest.

OUTSTANDING Job trinh-hong-phuoc! The post office crushed one of my boxes and cause some minor damage but overall I am very satisfied, I can fix the problems they caused.

What will be the focal length of the negative lens? What is the focal length of the lens in the photo?

trephanation

It's a beautiful piece of hardware. According to this video, that diode can form embers on wood. I'm assuming that entire back tube is for the batteries or power supply? lol

Also, what's the weight and is this going to be a handheld or mounted device? Definitely looking forward to see what you do with it.

Steve, the PCX lens has a FL of close to 100 mm, the negative lens is the back half of a Sanwu 3.3x beam expander. I don't know its FL, Trinh engineered the BE on this unit. Weight about 20 pounds with batteries inside, right now it's only a hand held unit but I suppose I could build some kind of mount which looks like a big hand with motor actuators and turn this into a piece of modern art?

Wow! Looks like you can get at least 6 26650s or18650s into that long battery holder. I hope one of these will be able to give you a multi-watt 532nm laser. But, you are likely right about its run time being very short.

The challenge is three power hungry devices will be inside, FAP, TEC and KTP crystal heater. I don't yet know if I will push the 50 watt FAP more than half power, probably not, although I could have a short full power turbo mode, the batteries would drain fast. Batteries are 8 x 32650's, or packs of 4 x 18650 batteries which each actually have higher capacity than a 32650.

It's a beautiful piece of hardware. According to this video, that diode can form embers on wood. I'm assuming that entire back tube is for the batteries or power supply? lol

Also, what's the weight and is this going to be a handheld or mounted device? Definitely looking forward to see what you do with it.
These FAP lasers were never designed to be stand alone devices. They were designed to pump, usually end pumped, DPSS lasers. They are far more than just one diode too. Many 808nm diodes fiber optically coupled together to pump usually a Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4 crystal. Then you need another crystal to get the Second Harmonic Generation, SHG, or frequency doubling crystal.

Okay. I was right in my guess of at least six 65mm long cells then.

Yes, and I have extension tubes for more :)

I suppose I would be unhappy with less than 10 watts of 532 nm in Turbo mode and 5 in normal, so that pretty much sets the duty cycle right there to be fairly low, I'd be happy with 10 minutes total run time in normal mode @ 5 W.

Last edited: