Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host brainstorming - in 3D

Okay some quick and dirty laser beam job...

Lasers_All_2.jpg

Now, tried to get the dot shot, however...
Host_Lasers_All.jpg

It would seem I'd need to decrease the density of volumetric light and increase luminousity of the laser by collosal factors to get the appropriate "flaring" effects.

Edit:

Well.
Lasers_all_fixed.jpg

Not quite there yet...

EDIT 2 :
Well !

This is as good as it gets for now. I will give it a rest now :)
Lasers_indirectIllum.jpg

Indirect illumination factor increased by 5 times. So, everything casts light on anything.

I bet it looks epic when animated. We should find out next weekend.

Last edited:

Ezcal

Everything looks good, except for the endcap... I'm not sure I like how much wider it is than the rest of the host. Personal preference though, you may love it :)

Everything looks good, except for the endcap... I'm not sure I like how much wider it is than the rest of the host. Personal preference though, you may love it :)
Now that you mention it, they do look awful on the very last picture. They do not appear aluminum at all.

I will have to fix that.

And yeah, my personal preference is that it's wider than the battery barrel. Gives you a better grip, laser can't slip through your fingers in forward.

Ezcal

Now that you mention it, they do look awful on the very last picture. They do not appear aluminum at all.

I will have to fix that.

And yeah, my personal preference is that it's wider than the battery barrel. Gives you a better grip, laser can't slip through your fingers in forward.

It's probably just the raised surfaces that throw off the coloring, not too big of a deal.

And as for the size, that actually makes a lot of sense, hah :)

When are you planning on building this? I can't wait to see a final product.

It's probably just the raised surfaces that throw off the coloring, not too big of a deal.

And as for the size, that actually makes a lot of sense, hah :)

When are you planning on building this? I can't wait to see a final product.
Yes I do plan on building this, well technically, getting it built.

I am yet to recieve a reply from Bill about the matter. He could machine the entire thing. Except the slits for the driver inside the driver barrel, but that can be done by hand.

In any case, I am definetly planning on holding a 445nm laser in that host in my hand.

Yes I do plan on building this, well technically, getting it built.

I am yet to recieve a reply from Bill about the matter. He could machine the entire thing. Except the slits for the driver inside the driver barrel, but that can be done by hand.

In any case, I am definetly planning on holding a 445nm laser in that host in my hand.

You better! Don't you dare give up on it :beer:

You better! Don't you dare give up on it :beer:
Thanks!

I just sold my current 445nm laser for some money, and I have a lot of cash to pay Bill to machine this out for me.

I will most likely be trading some multi-watt C-mounts with HIMNL9 , and he said he has a 445nm for spare... so that's $40 saved.

Now, I am thinking of also rendering a version all-aluminum , but black anodized, and also all Aluminum, clear anodized.

I will definetly stick to the version already present here, for the very first version produced in real life. Different material varations will follow up later, if fortune will have it.

Also, any modifications to interio-exterior you guys would make? I can modify stuff and render it out so we can all see your ideas!

Small update, I have made a keyswitch... sort of.

Host_Keylockswitch.jpg

So, with new tailcap installed:

Host_keylock_bloom.jpg

Host_tailcap_detail.jpg

Yeah, went with 800x600 rendering resolution. Took a lot longer ... :(

So anyhow, as you can see I don't think this very closely resembles the actualy laser keyswitches...

Can somebody with such a laser take dimensions for me, possibly pictures?
Picture of keys needed, inner and outer diameter of keyhole?
I'd appreciate it!

Ezcal

The keys may look a bit funky (diameter of the circular part looks a little big to me), but the endcap looks much better now, nice work.

How much do you think this will cost to get machined? I'd be interested in something like this for a high end 445 build in the future, if the price is right.

The keys may look a bit funky (diameter of the circular part looks a little big to me), but the endcap looks much better now, nice work.

How much do you think this will cost to get machined? I'd be interested in something like this for a high end 445 build in the future, if the price is right.
Yeah I know key looks funky, it was not made by measurement but rather eyeballed on the fly. Hence, question if anybody has any macro pictures or measurements.
Thanks!

Cost to get this done ?
No idea what so ever.

I am yet to hear back from Bill. He has not been online for some time now. I fear something got in the way of his hobby.

I hope it's all OK.

Ezcal

Well, if nobody posts it before I get home, I'd be happy to check if I have one of those still. I used to have a cable lock for my laptop that used that same key type. In fact, I think my freezer has one of those... I'd be happy to grab some quick measurements/pictures for you.

Well, if nobody posts it before I get home, I'd be happy to check if I have one of those still. I used to have a cable lock for my laptop that used that same key type. In fact, I think my freezer has one of those... I'd be happy to grab some quick measurements/pictures for you.
I think I have seen a similar keylock on one of the computer cases with server in my previous school. It was purely mechanical purpose though, prevented anybody from opening the side of the case. It did look identical, the key slot, that is. Not sure about the key.

Anyhow, I'd greatly appreciate any help. Though, when is that "get home" time? It's 10 to 9 PM here and I'm really planning on going to sleep early, big test tomorrow.

Ezcal

Ah, then you'll probably be seeing the pictures tomorrow, it's only noon here and I get home at 9pm.

Good luck on your test tomorrow!