Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hooking up Xbox Live

If you are hard wiring to the X Box then it should still self configure. If you run wireless to the X Box then you have to configure the Mac address security, ect.

unless you buy an xbox approved router from their list...

ZRTMWA

OK, so my wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G which is on the approved router list. My only question is that it is rated for 54mbps, is this OK? Like I said before I would probably just be using live for maybe Halo 3 and COD4: MW2. If this is OK then should I opt for only about a 54mbps "ethernet over power line adaptor"? I noticed the one in the video costs $180 but it is rated at 200mbps.

The problem with plugging the XBox 360 into the back of the router is that the Xbox is in the basement and the router is on the first floor. I will probably opt for a wireless connection.

54mbps is fine for Comcast, I had the same router. I could sit here for an hour typing telling you how to config security settings, and game setting but I think Google is your friend on this one.

ZRTMWA

So I was thinking about this the wrong way. I could just connect the computer and the modem to the router because that has multiple ports instead of buying a splitter to put into the modem. Now I just have to find a chaep xbox 360 adaptor.

ZRTMWA

This might be a really stupid question butis a phone port the same thing as an ethernet port in my wall? I have an unused phone port in my basement where the xbox would go. So could I just plug the Xbox into the wall with an ethernet cable to get live?

This might be a really stupid question butis a phone port the same thing as an ethernet port in my wall? I have an unused phone port in my basement where the xbox would go. So could I just plug the Xbox into the wall with an ethernet cable to get live?

No, unfortunately they are not the same. You could always use a really long ethernet cable in lieu of the wireless adapter. 100 feet is like $8 on Monoprice. The only issue is routing that cable to the basement.

phone lines use rj11 ports and ethernet uses rj45. rj45 is the bigger of the 2. whats your setup right now? i/e router/modem.. you said your using comcast so im guessing cable modem? do you have a router or anything in between the modem and the computer?

So I was thinking about this the wrong way. I could just connect the computer and the modem to the router because that has multiple ports instead of buying a splitter to put into the modem. Now I just have to find a chaep xbox 360 adaptor.

Correct.

ZRTMWA

Thanks T_J. I thought I could do it that way.

phone lines use rj11 ports and ethernet uses rj45. rj45 is the bigger of the 2. whats your setup right now? i/e router/modem.. you said your using comcast so im guessing cable modem? do you have a router or anything in between the modem and the computer?

There are no adaptors to switch from an rj11 to an rj45? I have the wireless router and I can put it in between the cable modem and the computer but at the moment it isn't being used.

Thanks T_J. I thought I could do it that way.

There are no adaptors to switch from an rj11 to an rj45? I have the wireless router and I can put it in between the cable modem and the computer but at the moment it isn't being used.

no. rj11 is 4 pins and rj45 is 8 pins. the only way to do it is to add a router, switch, hub or similar and run a line to your xbox from wherever your modem/router is located. your best bet is to run the cables in the wall but you have to know a little about what your doing for that.. the max length for cat5 cables is ~100meters... that means you can run the cable around the baseboards down into the basement if you want to go that route. the only other option would be to drill a hole in the floor/ceiling to allow the cable to go through.

ZRTMWA

What about through a duct (ac/ heating)? Why do you think a cable is the best bet over wireless?

Last edited:
a wireless adapter costs extra $$ for the 360.. you can do that but you wont get much of a signal considering your router will be upstairs. either way you do it its gonna cost a little. the cat5 cable would be the cheapest but then you got a cable running through most of your house... stuff for the wireless would look neater but cost more and you may not get a good signal(if any) since the router and xbox arent on the same floors...

ZRTMWA

I think I'm gonna run a Cat5 through an ac/heat vent in my office and out through the ceiling of the TV room. I'll still use the wireless router though.

By the way what's the difference between a Cat5 and a Cat6 cable and which do I want to go from the router to the xbox?

When drilling through the ceiling go to the floor above and drill a hole through the sub-floor, but just through sub-floor. Then get a brass coat hanger and clip off a 1 foot piece with wire cutters so the ends look pinched. Then put one end in your drill and put it in the hole and drill through the rest of the way. Then go downstairs and finish the hole. This way you wont hit wires/pipes with the drill bit. Then just fish the wire using the coat hanger.