Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hong Kong student arrested for carrying laser pointers

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Quite something, they are using them to dazzle security cameras that are tracking citizens. Seems like the state uses advanced facial recognition to basically track everyone, anywhere they go, so the protesters are using the lasers to temporarily disable the cameras:

Hand-held laser pointers, which emit powerful beams of green and blue light, are being used by Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters to confuse police officers, scramble facial recognition cameras and deter people from taking photos amid political turmoil.

A low tech solution to a high tech problem. It has been spun as protesters trying to blind police.

A bit off-topic but they could use URME Surveillance Mask.
Paper version is Free to download and if you wanna go HI-Tek:
URME Personal Surveillance Identity Prosthetic 3D Printed face mask. Made from a pigmented hard resin, this mask is both a 3D scan.

URME+maskFLAT.jpg

3D Printed version:

That's funny, Tero. Make a product, and to sell it, over blow then need for it. There may actually come the day when facial recognition keeps track of everyone in public and we should have a political discussion about that. But, I doubt the solution will be to buy these masks and everyone will be wearing one in public.

There have been many videos showing the protesters using lasers to dazzle or blind police from both sides of the protest camp.
The use of lasers to blind is violation under several international weapon conventions.
Had the use of lasers like this happened in Canada or the US, use of deadly force would be a possible outcome.

th

Last edited:

303mod109

This is the end of lasers. Sad to see how idiotic those protesters are. I agree the student should be released though. Just sad that lasers might become illegal soon.

I doubt this will cause any lasers to be illegal in the US. In Hong Kong, who knows. It is unknown how any of this will shake out for them. I understand why there are these protests, though.