Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Homemade Burn Laser for Camping

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new with this - but it has recently really sparked my interest.

I would really like to make a laser good enough for camping (ideally to lite campfires with and stuff). I would like it to work from a fair distance and be durable and portable as well.

I saw some videos on how to make them with DVD burners and a Mag light but they weren't very detailed.

Can someone help point me to a really detailed writeup and possibly a parts list of what I would need to complete this project?

Recommendations of nm and mw for this project as well would help too!

Thanks! :bowdown:

daguin

They are all over the Tutorials board and the Laser Pro Shop board

You have many decisions yet to make my young padawan

Peace,
dave

Razako

I'd recommend matches or a lighter. Cheaper and safer alternative if your goal is to start fires. You'd need a multiwatt laser to actually start a campfire and it won't be easy or cheap.

rhd

I've had the exact same thought (I'm an avid camper too), and it's really not something that can be done practically.

There's a big different between seeing a 445 light a match on fire at close range, or watching it burn tape, and expecting a laser to actually start a fire on it's own.

In terms of your purposes, think of lasers being more akin to the focal point of a magnifying glass on a really bright day. At the focal point, if you hold it steady, you can melt some materials, and no doubt set fir to some others. However, having been a long time camper, I'll comment that very little of the typical kindling you find in the bush is likely to go up in flames from even a 2W laser, and even in a situation where you're close enough (a few inches) to keep the laser steady and focused on one particular point.

2W from a 445 is about the most powerful portable I'm aware of. In theory you could take a 5W C-Mount IR, pop it in a dead 532nm host, and use an AW IMR cell to provide enough current. That would still be portable and offer a bit more output power, but IR is not absorbed very well by plants, leaves, sticks, etc, so it would probably be counter productive. If a 445 can't do what you're looking for, I can't think of anything else that would.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm more of an amateur camper.... I don't go on week long hikes...

That being said though... I think a laser makes for a great emergency beacon. Unfortunately that's about it.

When you have a 1W+ laser (as I'm sure you will soon :eg:) try a little experiment. Take some kindling... put it in a metal container or do it outside... and try to light it using a laser.

The prob I ran into is that the laser charred the wood, but didn't actually set it on fire:( In fairness I was using only some wood shavings, and a small amount of sawdust... not real kindling, but close enough IMO.

The other problem is... are you really going to take your goggles with you when you go camping?