Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Home Spectroscopy - Any Ides?

Tho I would recommend using a camera instead of your eye. :D

Sorry, wasn't clear there at all (smiley really didn't help). I meant with a camera you might have a chance of detecting a difference in two Blu-rays. Haven't tried it tho.

solar11307bw.png

spectralslice1.jpg

Although they say camera color sensitivity skews the intensity shown on the plot that shouldn't matter with the sharp line diode lasers create.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

As far as calibration goes: you can use a 532 green laser for that, those are accurate to the nanometer regardless of conditions or quality.

Observing the reflected dot can be a problem with blurays in particular, you need to find a totally non-fluorescent surface to do that properly.

Sandblasted aluminium ..... not coated or anodized, just bare sandblasted aluminium, it's not fluorescent and still reflect a lot of light ..... the only problem is that time by time you need to re-sand it or change it, cause it slowly oxidize.

Often this style of scope isn't good enough to see 405 vs 410. You would need a good eye to see that in this style meter.
Do we know a freak high wavelength Blu-ray can go up to 410nm? Or is that more of an educated guess of the range?

If the range is as much as 400-410nm that certainly appears to be detectable when comparing spectrum pictures from a camera.

The line from a red
is narrow enough at least. Seems you could see a 2-3nm difference perhaps if not better.

~EDIT~
Just saw Xplorer877 new thread http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/single-slit-diffraction-spectroscopy-my-attempt-calculate-wavelengths-50334.html#post690964

Last edited: