Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Holographic lightsabers

HIMNL9

Sorry, but that was not a true hologram of the type "3D suspended in air" :p ..... if you read the article, you see why .....

..... captured images of the reporter from 30 different angles and sent them to the tracking cameras in the main studio in New York City. The cameras in turn broadcast a full 3-D, lifelike graphical image on the stage in the Election Center, so it looked to viewers --

CG and 3D animation, perhaps ..... ;)

OK! Lets put this straight... I wont say i cannot think outside the box. Im an undergraduate student that is studying in a course that cant permit that.
HOLOGRAMS LIKE THE ONES YOU SEE IN STAR WARS ARENT POSSIBLE! yet!
And if u want to see a lightsaber, just watch the movies...yes, watch the movies...with software and special effects they did the lightsabers 'real'...and end of story! they only exist in films...
What u are asking right now is impossible without mirrors the size of the blade of the lightsaber...and those mirrors would never be in the hilt..they would be outside the hilt.

u could also use a real hologram, that uses light interference (if u dont know what that is, go look it up...and it is pretty much explained here Real holograms-as u have seen them). But then again u would need a hologram the size of the blade.

Lew8

Wow zxn474l how old are you!!! respect your elders at least!

Back to the original post... and then away from it..... what about a real lightsabre??? get a ridiculously powerfull picosecond laser.... get the beam to spread out and put a lens in front of it. due to the power of the laser the intensity of the output at the focus of the lens would cause blooming in the air (laser induced plasma) then get the lens to ocilate along the same axis as the beam... therefore changing the focus point along the length of the "light sabre".... there fore creating a constantly oscilating focus point and effectively generating a line of plasma!!! laser induced plasma should be just enough for a light sabre?? no way hand held lol.

sorry to stray from the original question, but i felt that this almost petty dispute was getting ott.

pls tell me if i'm talking bull or just dreaming. :)

well..."plasma saber" emits light but isnt a light saber...light sabers are just impossible with our technology...thats why i didnt mention plasma..

Wow zxn474l how old are you!!! respect your elders at least!

Back to the original post... and then away from it..... what about a real lightsabre??? get a ridiculously powerfull picosecond laser.... get the beam to spread out and put a lens in front of it. due to the power of the laser the intensity of the output at the focus of the lens would cause blooming in the air (laser induced plasma) then get the lens to ocilate along the same axis as the beam... therefore changing the focus point along the length of the "light sabre".... there fore creating a constantly oscilating focus point and effectively generating a line of plasma!!! laser induced plasma should be just enough for a light sabre?? no way hand held lol.

I think that what you're describing is theoretically possible, but not near achievable with current methods and technology - we're still a long way away from this. Also, remember how fast that kind of device would need to be re-focused and re-angled to work as a usable 3D-video projector.

@Argument: zxn474l, you're being very argumentative and childish. I'd suggest you read the stickies, do your own research if you're interested, and listen to people who have experience and have put the time and effort into trying to help you. You won't last long otherwise.

Lew8

I think that what you're describing is theoretically possible, but not near achievable with current methods and technology - we're still a long way away from this. Also, remember how fast that kind of device would need to be re-focused and re-angled to work as a usable 3D-video projector.

@Argument: zxn474l, you're being very argumentative and childish. I'd suggest you read the stickies, do your own research if you're interested, and listen to people who have experience and have put the time and effort into trying to help you. You won't last long otherwise.

Wudn't it just be a matter of moving the lens back and forth along the axis of the laser beam to change the focus and where the plasma is generated? there would only be one axis concerned for the laser not two scanning axis needed for 3d projection?

I was thinking of the kind of laser and plasma in this video YouTube - Laser Pumped Flying Saucer Spacecraft

like that you would only have plasma the size of the beam...what he was trying to say i think, is to get a real 3D feel...like a tube which walls are made of plasma, whith a greater diameter than the beam's one.