Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hit in eye with 1W laser?

I was fooling around with my laser and decided that it would be a good idea to shine it into the reflector of a flashlight! And the laser bounced twice and diverged greatly and headed straight into my eye, while I wasn't wearing my eagle pair. I saw a really bright flash and..... nothing. there were no spots in my vision whatsoever, it seemed less minor than a camera flash. All I saw in the mirror was a red line on my eye, but that was from sleep deprivation, as evidenced by the fact that I thought it would be fun to reflect a laser straight back at me. Why is this? I was wearing prescription transition lenses which apparently reflect back some of the light when I tried to recreate a direct hit, why am I not blind? (I know that the laser is 1W, because it can light a pencil on fire if properly focused)

UPDATE: my eye doctor said I have no retinal damage at all, (apart from the retinal damage I already had) and my vision is fine. phew

Last edited:

Vision

In on another laser accident thread.
WnmUeSs.jpg

Unless you bought from a reputable source or have metered it on your own, no way of know if it was 1W or not. If it was 1W, you probably suffered some damage. There is absolutely no way of knowing, go see an ophthalmologist.

As for why you didn't go blind, there's really no way of knowing if you will go blind from a laser. Since we can't just take people and shine lasers in their eyes for a clinical study. I'd say random light reflection pattern, bad luck, hitting the retina at the right angle and you will go blind. Even tho it's not guranteed, a high powered laser will damage your eyes.

Last edited:
In on another laser accident thread.
350x700px-LL-356fe93d_1j5jy.gif

Unless you bought from a reputable source or have metered it on your own, no way of know if it was 1W or not. If it was 1W, you probably suffered some damage. There is absolutely no way of knowing, go see an ophthalmologist.

As for why you didn't go blind, there's really no way of knowing if you will go blind from a laser. Since we can't just take people and shine lasers in their eyes for a clinical study. I'd say random light reflection pattern, bad luck, hitting the retina at the right angle and you will go blind. Even tho it's not guranteed, a high powered laser will damage your eyes.

I bought from o-like, with an AW battery, and it may be a bit underspec due to it being waterproof, but i am confident it is at least 950mw, I guess you're right, since the reflector also had a weird "flood" type lens that intentionally made the light get larger rather than at a point.

First things first, the mandatory scolding for using a class IV laser without eye protection. :tsk:

Go see an optometrist or ophthalmologist ASAP. Depending on certain variables (how much it diverged, how much was reflected etc.) you could be completely fine, but do NOT assume that you are just because your vision doesn't seem impaired right now. If you do have any damage the doctor may be able to minimize it, which is why you need to see one right away.

Last edited:

Razako

If you're lucky you didn't get any damage or you got a light amount of damage. If you're unlucky you did some moderate damage. The light was probably diffused by the time it hit your eye, and I think red lasers are the least harmful to your eyes. Only way to know for sure is to see an eye doctor and get it checked.

Vision

If you're lucky you didn't get any damage or you got a light amount of damage. If you're unlucky you did some moderate damage. The light was probably diffused by the time it hit your eye, and I think red lasers are the least harmful to your eyes. Only way to know for sure is to see an eye doctor and get it checked.

article-2289782-18812FE4000005DC-543_306x358.jpg

Encap

You are very lucky if no occular damage occured. Take hint and always wear eye protection ----especially while you are getting aquanited with what lasers do and how laser light behaves and you don't comprehend the hazards/risks.

Accidents happen--people don't have any frame of reference with which to comprehend a laser accident which happens at the speed of light---happens so fast there is no chance of making any correction to avoid---is not everyday common experience--so people get lazy or dont want to understand and get hurt---that is why everyone on LPF stresses goggles and safety ---especially to newcomers to the hobby.

See an eye MD get it checked to be on safe side.

Also see this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html and this one: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/irreversible-vision-damage-don-t-turn-blind-eye-laser-hazards-71299.html

Hibro

I would say you are so lucky because you have a proper eyewear. Otherwise a 1W laser will definitely blind you less than a second.

As others have already said... :twak: No pointing lasers at anything remotely shiny.

You're also extremely lucky that you're not seeing any apparently damage, but I will add to the chorus... GO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR. Preferably an ophthalmologist, but even an optometrist can take a look to see whether there is any damage that requires treatment.

Last edited:

Vision

As others have already said... :twak: No pointing lasers at anything remotely shiny.

You're also extremely lucky that you're not seeing any apparently damage, but I will add to the chorus... GO SEE AN EYE DOCTOR. Preferably an ophthalmologist, but even an optometrist can take a look to see whether there is any damage that requires treatment.

3NQVi.gif

I was fooling around with my laser and decided that it would be a good idea to shine it into the reflector of a flashlight

I have been trying for 2 days now to come up with something polite yet helpful to say about this statement, but apparently I'm not that smart.

Last edited:

GSS

I have been trying for 2 days now to come up with something polite yet helpful to say about this statement, but apparently I'm not that smart.
Pikablu go take a "peek":whistle: at some of the last 2 threads where you posted that you "like your vision"

Last edited:
Pikablu go take a "peek":whistle: at some of the last 2 threads where you posted that you "like your vision"

I didn't sleep for about three days straight, cut me some slack. But yeah now I am afraid to look at the dot from 50 feet away without my eagle pair, taught me a lesson. I will go visit my eye doctor soon, I deserve my scolding

Last edited:
if you were up for three days straight then why were you playing with lasers?? and was there a reason why you were up for three days? Something that may have impaired your judgment.
Have you made an appointment yet? keep us updated

Last edited: