Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hit by green laser

Ok I so I have a cheap Chinese laser that says <200mw on the sticker, I had my 532nm laser glasses on but the IR is what I'm worried about, I accidently caught myself in the eye through the glasses, I am not experiencing and real vision problems, just like a spot similar to when you look at a bright light when I blink, does it sound like any of this will be permanent?

is the "bright light spot" still in your eye? did your eye still hurt when you were not thinking about it.. how long and close was the exposure?

Last edited:
I see a very faded and very small purple spot when I cover the opposite eye and stare at the wall, but they eye feels kinda odd, no pain at all even when it happened, and probably 12 inches away from the glasses, and maybe a second or two, and this happened about 15 mins ago

Last edited:
alright it shouldnt be too bad. i assume its already late so sleep on it and if you still feel pain tomorrow you can have an eye exam,, it shoudnt have too much ir but with theses cheap ones you can never know for sure without a meter...

this is an example of a much much worse case so check out this thread and compare your situation and symptoms

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Last edited:

upaa27

200mw can damage your eye really bad. I would get your eye checked just to be sure.

This is the next morning, not noticing anything out of the ordinary, I'm guessing it was just like a bright light effect from the bright IR, just curious, how much of that 200mw or whatever it happens to be would be IR?

Here is the ir dot, you can see the green reflected by the glasses and the ir dot straight through on the wall, my cell phone camera was able to pick it up

wl6f5y.jpg

upaa27

usually if there is no ir filter then 60% of the total output is ir

honeyx

usually if there is no ir filter then 60% of the total output is ir

Doesn´t make really sense, even if this would be just a 100mW laser. And it also doesn´t match the picture above.

If it were just 100mW total and 60% would pass the glasses, the 60mW IR would burn his retina permamently. And for the camera it would also apear way brighter than on the picture as a camera chip shows the brightness of IR equial to other visible colors.

Typically there is about 5-30% IR without an IR filter.

Last edited:
I also shined it directly into the camera through the glasses as its an old cell phone and I was curious as to what it would look like, will post pictures of that later, the camera suffered no damage

that IR dot is really rather well collimated, if you are going to continue using that laser you're gonna have to be extra careful or get IR blocking goggles as well. The eagle pair that block 532 and the common DPSS IR emissions have terrible visual light transmission but you at least know you're protected.

I will repeat though it is not possible to know how much IR emission there really is. It's not a set number and these percentages that are being thrown around sound like they came from made up united. Also, not all cameras show IR as easily and besides "IR" actually encompasses a broad spectrum from the very tip of the visible reds all the way up into much longer wavelengths measured in micrometers.

Last edited:

honeyx

When I was looking with my nightvision at the IR dots my DPSS lasers are producing, they all were well collimated and not fading out like many are saying. It´s also true IR encompasses a broad spectrum, but this laser is using a 808nm diode, so it´s very close to the visible spectrum and almost all camera sensors are able to catch this wavelength exept they also have an IR filter build in.

It´s indeed hard to say how many mW the IR is having but 60% to be IR appears a bit utopistic and would cause permament demage when it gets focused to a pinpoint on the retina.

I remember reading somewhere that the ir in a green laser was not focused and was just emitted in a cone shape outward from the laser, my picture shows this is not the case, the ir is focused just the same as the green, however maybe the ir does lose some intensity since the lens is designed for green? Just a thought