Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High Power Green Laser Pointers Lifespan

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if any of you all have had one of your high power green lasers burn out on you before 3000 hours of use. Do these things really last up to 5000 hours? I'm assuming you obey the duty cycle, don't drop the laser/etc.

I would think 5mW and 75mW green lasers would have different life spans. Is it really realistic to think that a 5mW and 125mW are going to last the same time until failure?

T

timelord

You could safely say that you'd probably get bored or have a new laser by the time it's near the 3000hrs-5000hrs mark. The 125mw's may burn out quicker than a 5mw as these lasers are built to perform at their peak.

I toasted one last night with new batteries :-( Now where do I get replacement 808 nM diodes ?? I don't find them anywhere.

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
I toasted one last night with new batteries :-(  Now where do I get replacement 808 nM diodes ??  I don't find them anywhere.

Mike

Don't even think about it unless you really know what you're doing. Its not a simple job and all and most likely isnt worth the time and money you'd put into it. If you still have a warranty, thats the way to go. Otherwise I'd say its time for a new laser unfortunately

Pseudo --

I have pulled these things apart to add heat sink grease and I have the "micro" tools necessary.  It isn't as bad a job as it appears because I've designed and built micro circuitry for years.   This is now a challenge for me but I need the diode.

I think heat buildup is the killer for long diode life. Add Arctic 5 and limit the duty cycle and pointer lifetime will be improved.

Thanks --

Mike

Well, even so you will need to work with the crystal alignment and such, but if you've fully taken them apart it shouldn't be too bad (I just get tired of when people break the stupid things like the switch trying the get the button off of a $400 laser to mod the power, when they don't even know what a multimeter is). You might want to try contacting the eBay seller junktronix as they are very helpful with this stuff. I'm not sure what your laser uses, but you're probably going to be looking for a 500mW 808nm diode in either 9mm can form, or a c-block. Make sure its a true 808 though and not one of those close ones like 809 or 810 as that can really screw you over in a greenie. Also be careful as the diode will be very sensitive to static and heat from soldering. Good luck.

Psuedo --

I had to laugh about people breaking things tiny ;D Yes, I check allignment on my pointers after I "grease" them a bit. I've got one ebay seller trying to contact the manufacturer for parts but I think there's a language barrier :mad:
Also, this model has poor power switches so I got some from DigiKey.
Worst case, I'll get a pointer with a bad crystal set and do a transplant --

Thanks again --

Mike

Yep, I'd definitely contact juntronix on eBay. They should be able to get you an 808nm 500mW pump in c-block or can for <$100

Funny thing you brought up --- Why can I buy a pointer for $20 - $35 when one component may be the same price. Something ain't right here !!! Those diodes should be a dollar a dozen by now ::)

A couple sellers have some junk I might be able to get too.

Mike

What do you mean? You can buy red pointers for $1 apiece but those are <1mW 650nm diodes. 808nm diodes are more in demand, and we're talking about a 500mW one. You can pull a good 150-200mW out of a $40-80 leadlight, but thats still far from enough power. In bulk the prices will obviously be less, but 808nm 500mW is still not a dollar a dozen type of thing, regardless of what they "should" be.