Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

high power 450nm questions

Hello people.

I got myself two NUBM44's, and a PBS cube :D :D D

Want to build a 12w-14w handheld. Have some safety questions though.

the highest wattage I have worked with sporadically is about 5w with one of Rick Trent's combiner units, and it was already finished, so it wasn't my build.

For eye protection I have 2 pairs of goggles:

A LaserGlow set that is OD7+, and

An OEM Laser Systems pair that is also OD7+

Are these brands trusted to be actual OD7+? I've never worried too much about it, and eyesight is still 20/20 :), however, with these higher wattages, I rather be safe than sorry. What's your opinion? Should I consider getting something stronger?

Second, since I am going to be adjusting my beams, I'm probably going to spend a lot of time with the diodes powered on.

I don't want to run them full blast at 6W. I rather run them at a low wattage, let's say 200mW - 500mW for beam adjustment.

I saw on DTR's site that he ran them as low as 85mW with a current controlled power supply. I, unfortunately don't have one of these. What driver would you recommend for me?

if i remember correctly Lazeerer/Hiemal(Le quack) have one of those adjustable driver
also you can check with Mohrenberg as he stock Le quack driver.(those thing can be adjust from 0-5.5 amps!!!)

I would suggest Lasorbs (aixiz.com)de close as posible to the diodes
There was a GB on PBS cubes for VERY HI Power- they tested them with long term 30 mW called it 'Baking the cube' to be sure they could stand the heat-

seller was Dave in Oz. at the show forum. fair price IIRC
they are small bt big enough to work with.
That told me a lot about cheap PBS cubes... these guys are pros and if they saw the need I goalong with that.

hak --PM if you need

Thanks so far guys.

I got the Stanwax kit with PBS and the adjusting mounts. Is that one up to the task?

^^ oh YEAH- had I known that my post would have been shorter Stan is the Man across the pond - whatever he says is good advice-

we await pics of the build once you begin!!!o

OVNI

Are these brands trusted to be actual OD7+? I've never worried too much about it, and eyesight is still 20/20 :), however, with these higher wattages, I rather be safe than sorry. What's your opinion? Should I consider getting something stronger?

A little late, hope it's useful. This site says for a 14W 445nm laser, your goggles need to have minimum OD of 4.15

@ FutureOne
Are you going to use cylindrical pairs to shape your beams before the cube?
If not you know you will get a + shaped spot as you have to rotate one beam 90 degrees so they are not polarized the same.

Thanks for the reply guys. Not too late, as this Christmas holiday was freakin' busy and haven't had time to do anything hobby wise.

I probably won't get to this project 'till around Feb.

Not too worried about the shape of the beams, or if the end up with an "+" pattern. However, cylindrical pairs might be doable if they are not too expensive. Where would I find such a lens kit?

I got a couple pairs in a group buy, they are small but that may be a good thing however they are not really a kit, just lens pairs and you have to do it yourself, now OPT may have a kit later.
Cylindrical lenses - Opt Lasers

You could mount 2 side by side in a heavy host that has good heat sinking, the lines will mostly overlap by 5 meters.