Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi There! I’m a noobie here, but I own several powerful lasers, but I have a question!

Papasmurf32118

I build professional level display models for collectors, and I am currently building a 50 inch Star Trek Enterprise Starship, for a client. It will be in a Lexan display case. I own several burners, but obviously, in a display case...that can be a problem, as in burning holes through it! I need 2 Blue types, but are there any very visible ones, that do not burn? Can you specify what specs I need to look for, or even a link where to find very high quality versions? Price is not the main issue....I have paid 135.00 for small modules in the past...

Snecho

First off, what you do is very impressive, congrats.

However I am a bit confused as to what your question actually is.

What do you need the blue lasers for?

Papasmurf32118

Oh thank you, not a plug...but you can see my stuff at the kit factory.com

It’s to simulate the Blue Phasers firing from the lower Saucer...have done it several times with more powerful lasers, but they were not in a Lexan (Acrylic) Display Case....Would about 20 inches dissipate the beam enough to prevent a burn? Thats the approx distance to the edge of the case, from emission point...I don’t want to affect the Display case over time....

Giannis_TDM

Of course, they are supplied with the display, as well as proper instructions. Safety first
Hey there so I haven't watched much star trek but what exactly is the color of the beams? we have plenty of diodes at various different wavelengths of blue available noways. You can buy aforementioned diodes in modules with drivers from dtr! he will also set them up at the current/output power you want if you ask nicely. here is his page: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes and here is a website where you can pop in the various blue wavelength diodes that he offers to get an idea of the color https://slickscreen.github.io/laser-tools/brightness/ . Hope this helps! Edit: The acrylic case should be able to withstand ~300mw if its thin if its thicker around 10-20mm id say and take this with a grain of salt ~500mw but I don't know best bet would be to run some tests to check for the max it can handle. If we are going for highest visibility then the 465nm NUMB07 diodes are the best.

Papasmurf32118

Oh yes! I’m looking at his on E Bay, but asked a question he did not respond to yet. I have purchased several Lasers from him...I just don’t want to buy the wrong ones. I will try his home page link, many thanks. The color is Blue....

Giannis_TDM

Oh yes! I’m looking at his on E Bay, but asked a question he did not respond to yet. I have purchased several Lasers from him...I just don’t want to buy the wrong ones. I will try his home page link, many thanks. The color is Blue....
I Edited my message but I will repeat myself just in case you did not notice the edit: > The acrylic case should be able to withstand ~300mw if its thin if its thicker around 10-20mm id say and take this with a grain of salt ~500mw but I don't know best bet would be to run some tests to check for the max it can handle. If we are going for highest visibility then the 465nm NUMB07 diodes are the best.

Snecho

Do you have a direct way to contact him? I have his address, but lost a phone number I had a while back, e mail is fine too. I’m not sure if he checks his E bay listings often?
So a 300mw Blue....with proper testing, should be about right? Not holding you to it....
Sorry, I had not noticed the edit...
It’s a good thickness ....around 3/8”
Papa, a lot of members here hate double posting much less quadruple posting back to back. You can quote multiple times in one message and use Edit to combine posts.

Just a heads up.

Snecho

Oops...so sorry....
It's perfectly ok.

DTR AKA-Jordan, the owner of DTR'S Laser Shop, currently has someone else running the shop for him. His name is Augie and he is @aug on here.

You can send him a PM via his profile and he can help you with whatever you need.

Snecho

Thank you very kindly!
No problem.

Also, I just ran some tests.

I have a 445nm laser doing about 1.5W and a clear sheet of acrylic a few mm thick. I focused down the laser to a fine point and it didn't do anything to the acrylic at all point blank :)

Papasmurf32118

Dang! I would think smoke and fire with that rating....Iwill have a go at a test piece...thanks again. The Universe doesn’t make sense...indeed! :)

Coonie

I'm into models and had this very same idea. The blue phasers could be thought of as quantum phasers. You'd want 490nm as it would be bright at lower power levels.
Are you also adding in fiber optics for lighting? What version of Enterprise are you augmenting?

Papasmurf32118

There is so much to answering your question, may I suggest you check out thekitfactory.com

It’s my website, I retired this year, but am building this one for my personal collection. If your into modeling, you will really like this website.