Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi-Power Hosts, dual-switch, DTR Heatsink compatible

I've been gone from LPF for a while and noticed some host makers and manufacturers are now gone.

I am looking for a production item (non-custom) host, momentary side switch/on-off rear clicky switch, compatible with DTR's larger heatsinks (20mm or 25mm). I am thinking that, with the advent of the high-power 445nm diodes out now, this host should be available somewhere.

Are there any sources for this type of host who make this as an off-the-shelf item on a regular basis? I prefer to avoid getting into commissioning someone to make a custom host at this time (extra work, time, cost, and other possible difficulties).

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Gazen

Survivallasers is exactly what you need, don't know if they have momentary switches though. You could try a c6 host with their 20mm DTR adapter, or something beefier like their S4X. They're based in the US and usually have their hosts in stock, so you'd receive your order quickly.

Use their USA link
https://www.survivallaserusa.com/

Make sure you pick up some of their eagle safety goggles if you don't already safety glasses.

Last edited:
You will need to use a driver like the BlackBuck 8 because it is set up to have a momentary off tactile switch. You can't have 4.5 amps running through a tactile switch. They don't make them to handle that amount of current. You know the NUBM44 diode has the worst divergence of any diode out there. It will give you a line as opposed to a dot at 15 feet. Just in case you were unaware and thought "oh boy, 7 watts of blue laser light".

Last edited:
ok, thanks guys for the info.

Maybe I'll just go with a tailswitch setup. I'm looking at Survival laser's S4x host but the head is bigger than the regular S4 so the special 20mm S4 head won't fit onto the S4x and I don't see a 20mm head specifically for the S4x host. I guess I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Gazen

Maybe I'll just go with a tailswitch setup. I'm looking at Survival laser's S4x host but the head is bigger than the regular S4 so the special 20mm S4 head won't fit onto the S4x and I don't see a 20mm head specifically for the S4x host. I guess I'll keep looking.

I know you said you didn’t want to commission a custom build, but lifetime17 has (I think) a few hosts already made that could accept 12mm dtr modules, just plug and play with a little soldering.

GSS

Yes cncyana, just to add to what Gazen mentioned about Lifetime17.
He's got lots of different production plug an play hosts that's just as simple as connecting the 2 wires and sliding in the module from as example of one of Dtr's 12mm module's.
No need for pill fitting and battery board connects. He's got it that down pat and you can just ask for a all AL, or all Copper or a Copper pressed in a AL sink.
Very very fairly priced:). Take a look at his sales thread were he shows a few examples or just send him a PM as he's just about as nice as they come..

Last edited:
Hi cncyana,

If your looking for a host with great sinking let me know . Your looking at a NUBM44 diode many options here for you to keep it thermally protected. You can use also copper dust mixed in with the thermal compound on the 12mm module before you set it into the sink to.
Here are a few sinks ,Al, Al/w/Cu core and full CU..

Rich:)

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_424.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_424.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 31
  • fullsizeoutput_4e3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4e3.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

The DTR 20mm adapter from survival lasers does fit in their S4X. I have one with a M462 I got from DTR in his 20mm mount.

The S4X is just an extended S4 to take 2 18650's and better heatsinking.

EDIT: The above is incorrect.

Last edited:

GSS

Mosc, there must be some confusion Garog just recently posted it doesn't fit.. Both S4 and SX4 take 2 18650's if you use the extention tube for the S4 but the SX4 host is much wider.
I only have an extended S4 host so I can't compare but was Dtr's 20mm module a somewhat direct fit on your SX4 or did you have to fabricate?

Last edited:
Mosc, there must be some confusion Garog just recently posted it doesn't fit.. Both S4 and SX4 take 2 18650's if you use the extention tube for the S4 but the SX4 host is much wider.
I only have an extended S4 host so I can't compare but was Dtr's 20mm module a somewhat direct fit on your SX4 or did you have to fabricate?

I am just checking my hosts. I know i bought the 20mm adapter.

Just checking which one its in.

My Applogies. Garog is correct. I don't use my pointer style lasers very often and forgot who is who....

My M462 in the S4X is a 12mm module.

The 20mm module is the NDG7475 and it's in a C6 host with the Survival 20mm adapter.

The rest are all 12mm modules in standard S4's.

My Nubm44 is in a large custom lab style. It is a 20mm module.

It seems strange that Survival made a 20mm adapter for the small hosts. It should have been for the larger one !

Again. Sorry for the incorrect information.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

No apology's needed as I was just going by what Garog said and he could of bean confused a bit also. It kinda made sense in your first edited post where the S4X is just thicker hosted and could see why you thought it:)

Last edited: