Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi, new here. I've got some questions

While I was supposed t be writing an English paper at 4 in the morning, I decided to try my hand at building a burning laser. First, I think I'll try it out as a drawing tool and then integrate it into a makeshift CNC router made from scanners and printers and so on.

So, I took the laser diodes out of a busted DVD burner that was in my basement and tested them with 2 AA batteries (which I now understand to be a very bad idea) to see which is the IR and which is the burning diode. I have located the burning laser and I am waiting for parts to make the power supply.

However, I need a laser module and I have no idea where to begin. Do I need a specific module to fit my diode? If so, how do I tell which module is the right one?

Is the LM317 power supply sufficient or should I make another kind?

Is there some place I can go that answers all of these questions so I don't have to pester you folks?

I appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Ohai.

It's not exactly called a module, it's called a diode housing. Once you've put a diode in it, used correct type of lens, and included a current regulation electronics, then it's called a module.

Not that it's very important how you choose to call it anyhow.

So, you need a housing that can house a 5.6 mm laser diode.
Make sure to get the diode out of it's original heatsink first.

This is what you're probably seeing now:
SF-AW210%20Red%20Long%20Can%20laser%20Diode%203.jpg

This is what you need to take out from it:
D7805I,D8085I,D6355I,D8505I,D6605I.jpg

Picz just googled, so they are not mine.

LM317 constant current driver is most sufficient :) You need to know what you want, though.

Do you know how to determine if your diode is long die or short die one?

rhd

I might add that the LM317 circuit you linked to is probably much more complicated than you need to worry about.

Search for "LM317 DDL" and you'll find the basic driver we use as a template around here. The only real adjustment you have to do is in choosing your resistor (or resistor + pot if you want one - but I wouldn't)

I find the best way to figure out your resistor is to go here:
LM317 Current Calculator - Electric Circuit

Tell it the current you want, and it'll tell you the resistor you need (and the wattage of that resistor). It's not hard math to do in your head either, but this makes it simple.

Basically, this is the circuit:
blu-ray_driver1_001.jpg

Just put the calculated value of resistor in place of the (resistor + pot) in that circuit.

excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

are there electronics inside of the diode housing that work with specific diodes? Does it matter what kind of lens it has?
I have managed to get the heat sink off of the diode.
I'm afraid I don't know what long and short die mean.

anselm

I might add that the LM317 circuit you linked to is probably much more complicated than you need to worry about.
Not only that, it's flat out wrong for our purposes.
It's set up as a voltage regulator, but we need it to be setup as a current regulator.

Use this:
Laser driver - It can be done

You assemble your own electronics, not using the ones from modules.

Housings are nothing but nickel plated machined brass pieces. You pressfit your diode in there.

Tell you what, do a little homework on your own, and find out what long and short die diodes are. You have a custom Google search bar at the top.
If you find that out, I'll help you with the rest of the project whenever you need it :)