Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi, I'm BeeOD

BeeOD

I became interested in lasers when my hubby told me that he wanted a green laser. So I looked around on eBay looking for a good deal, come to find out what I purchased was no deal at all, what I got was a very cheap laser, and I'm not talking about price either. So I set out to find a decently made laser at a price I could afford. So I started to research the strongest, the best, how they are made, watched review videos, etc. Trying to understand watts, nm, mW, amps, just when I think I understand a little, something comes up that confuses me. So for almost 2 years now I've been trying to learn. To the point that I'm determined to eventually build my own. I did finally get my hubby 2 awesome lasers, in which I burned out the drivers by putting the batteries in - to spring and + to front. Which is the normal way, not realizing it was suppose to go in backwards. So now I've learned about drivers, diodes , copper heat sinks, 7 watt lasers, laser safety 1st, and how to respect a laser like I do a gun. They are awesome but both can ruin a life if not properly handled. I finally got 2 new drivers, praying the diodes arn't burned out, I have a friend fixing them for me. Now I'm looking to get my friend a decent laser for helping me out. What I learned is if you want a good laser you don't go to eBay to buy one unless you get a diy kit from DTR or Barnett_unlimited. So now that you all know how ditzy I can be, please be patient with my questions, I truly have a desire to eventually build my own, but I need to learn more before I can do it. I learned how to fix laptops by watching YouTube, and to do some repairs on refrigerators. I'm also in the process of doing a diy battery bank and generator. So I know my next task is this. So enough babbling from me. I'm happy to be here to learn.

GSS

:)Welcome BeeOD,
you will be surprised to how simple some builds can be..

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, BeeOD! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.
There are many knowledgable members here to help you with any questions you may have.

BeeOD

:)Welcome BeeOD,
you will be surprised to how simple some builds can be..
My hubby says I tend to over think things so much that when I finally step out and try it, more times then not, I find that it was easier then I thought. Like I've been coming here as a guest for just under a year, I wanted some knowledge before becoming a member, I didn't want to sound too dumb, fear of the unknown! Lol! If you have any ideas on where I could start a not so pricy build, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

GSS

My hubby says I tend to over think things so much that when I finally step out and try it, more times then not, I find that it was easier then I thought. Like I've been coming here as a guest for just under a year, I wanted some knowledge before becoming a member, I didn't want to sound too dumb, fear of the unknown! Lol! If you have any ideas on where I could start a not so pricy build, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
You should have seen some of the questions I asked when I was newo_O and I still do!
It's better to ask than make a expensive mistake;)
What is budget around and what color and power do you favor?
If you want the feel of a build but not go into it to deep, then most might suggest a complete preset driver DTR module , and a plug and play host from Lifetime17. 2 wire to wire connect and just about done.

BeeOD

You should have seen some of the questions I asked when I was newo_O and I still do!
It's better to ask than make a expensive mistake;)
What is budget around and what color and power do you favor?
If you want the feel of a build but not go into it to deep, then most might suggest a complete preset driver DTR module , and a plug and play host from Lifetime17. 2 wire to wire connect and just about done.
I was just looking at their host, good idea I was thinking going slow like that too. Right now I'm learning how to solder I'm doing a diy battery bank / generator build. Once I master soldering batteries together. Then I'll practice on some old mother boards. Then try to fix backlights on a TV, if that goes well then I'll try my hand at this. But right now I do need a green laser between 1watt for the friend who's fixing my hubby's lasers. But if green is to expensive then a blue 1-4 watts. I know DTR's drivers are around $30 I would like to stay under the $100 price if at all possible. Anything come to mind?

GSS

1W of green will be way more than $100 unfortunately.
Dtr, has a PLTB450B1 in a 12 module and SXD driver for $68. It's a great diode and at 1.8A will do 2W and maby more with a G2 lens.
Lifetime17 has some hosts with heatsinks that has the 2 wires to just connect to Dtr's module wire's and done.
If it makes you feel better for practice, you do a simple 2 wire to wire solder and a couple pieces of heatshrink tubing.
Here's some examples and look at his sales thread as he has some extra stock hosts for cheap..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    277 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just wanted to welcome you to the LPF. You might be very surprised to learn just how bright 1 watt green laser is. The 520nm direct diode ones are less expensive than the 532nm DPSS ones, though. The least I've seen are ~$200.00 for a direct diode one. Good luck on your soldering practice. A good soldering station can make all the difference.

BeeOD

Just wanted to welcome you to the LPF. You might be very surprised to learn just how bright 1 watt green laser is. The 520nm direct diode ones are less expensive than the 532nm DPSS ones, though. The least I've seen are ~$200.00 for a direct diode one. Good luck on your soldering practice. A good soldering station can make all the difference.
Thank you. I know they are very bright I bought my hubby a 1+ watt green and a 7+ watt blue for his bday last year. I want to gift a good friend with one. Thank for the welcome and info.

BeeOD

1W of green will be way more than $100 unfortunately.
Dtr, has a PLTB450B1 in a 12 module and SXD driver for $68. It's a great diode and at 1.8A will do 2W and maby more with a G2 lens.
Lifetime17 has some hosts with heatsinks that has the 2 wires to just connect to Dtr's module wire's and done.
If it makes you feel better for practice, you do a simple 2 wire to wire solder and a couple pieces of heatshrink tubing.
Here's some examples and look at his sales thread as he has some extra stock hosts for cheap..
I didn't think I'd find a green one for under a 100, but it dosent hurt to ask. I just sent lifetime17 a message about prices.where can I find this extra stock host for cheap at? I'm just learning how to navigate this site.

welcome---we don't have many ladies here.

You have gotten some 'greets' from our best members--if need help you can PM them or me and avoid asking in the open forum for some questions,.

about the batts--- there is no 'rule' other than the fact that 532nm green lasers take the neg end to the front almost always. (520 and 525 greens are not DPSS) Never try testing like you did to find the correct polarity. The other wavelengths MOSTLY take the batts with the + end to the front. I use a very fine point black sharpie to place a + or - mark on the tail cap and/or elsewhere . 532 lasers use another nm IR diode and the beam goes thru a crystal and comes out green-- DPSS Diode pumped solid state. all the other dpss almost always take the batts like the 532. FYI I did the same thing once. (just once)

Other important things are:
Use all ways to avoid diode death by static electricity. This can happen if you touch the diode wit a bare finger or a tool or fail to short all caps before soldering the diode.
Avoid overheating --use the proper duty/rest cycle.
and never test any diode with a bare battery. (the driver protects)
...WELCOME,,,

Len in Houston

Last edited: