Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from Sydney

The best way is to get the laser diode and driver removed and shipped separately as it is then just a laser module and an empty torch. Both of which are perfectly legal to import into Australia.

I recently received a hand held that had the top ring, end cap, battery and lens all removed.

It did also say on the packaging that it was flashlight parts

As formaking one. I'm not the best person to ask about diy ATM. Already killed 2 ld while extracting them from a DVD burner :(

Would having it disassembled as described and subsequently reassembling it require much? I mean, would it require desoldering / resoldering or anything like that? Or is it as simple as unscrewing / unclipping the appropriate parts and then screwing / clipping them back together?

Does anyone know if any of the stores are willing to do this sort of thing themselves (even for a fee)?

Cheers,

Adam :)

Welcome,
Would having it disassembled as described and subsequently reassembling it require much? I mean, would it require desoldering / resoldering or anything like that? Or is it as simple as unscrewing / unclipping the appropriate parts and then screwing / clipping them back together?

Does anyone know if any of the stores are willing to do this sort of thing themselves (even for a fee)?

Cheers,

Adam :)

I don't believe it needs to be as extreme as resoldering lol, i've had them sent through fine with the battery sent serparately most of the stores will do that for you, not the chinese drop shippers though... But if your really worried just get the tailcap sent separately and without stickers and they have no way to test it or prove its a laser.

Welcome,

I don't believe it needs to be as extreme as resoldering lol, i've had them sent through fine with the battery sent serparately most of the stores will do that for you, not the chinese drop shippers though... But if your really worried just get the tailcap sent separately and without stickers and they have no way to test it or prove its a laser.

You mean that the diode doesn't even need to be removed at all? So, it's basically just a matter of sending the 'removable' parts separately?

I'm not sure how removing the tailcap and other such parts would prevent them from knowing / proving it's a laser... I mean, you'd need them in order to operate the laser, but wouldn't it still be clear that it's a laser? Am I missing something here?

Can anyone suggest any particular stores that are known to be good with this? A store called "o-like" was mentioned earlier.

Thanks for your advice!

I don't actually think you'd be able to convince a company to remove the diode for you. Lasers looking similar to flashlights with sticker or battery to prove otherwise should get through fine, or you could alternatively buy one from the forums and which are literally ex-flashlights and should get through no questions asked, should.
O-like and rayfoss are likely to be your best bet but that depends on what you want...

I don't actually think you'd be able to convince a company to remove the diode for you. Lasers looking similar to flashlights with sticker or battery to prove otherwise should get through fine, or you could alternatively buy one from the forums and which are literally ex-flashlights and should get through no questions asked, should.
O-like and rayfoss are likely to be your best bet but that depends on what you want...

Thanks for the clarification.

It wasn't that I actually wanted the diode to be removed. That would be a hassle. I was just wondering what you meant, exactly.

strik3

no i didn't mean unsoldering the diode. i meant having the diode and driver removed from the host. but still keep it attached to the heat-sink and send that separately. so all you would need to do is reinsert the driver and heat-sink into the host.

no i didn't mean unsoldering the diode. i meant having the diode and driver removed from the host. but still keep it attached to the heat-sink and send that separately. so all you would need to do is reinsert the driver and heat-sink into the host.

Yes, that's what I thought you most likely meant. I just wasn't sure, especially since I'm really not familiar with the devices. But that certainly seemed to make the most sense.

That way, like you say, it's simply a couple of shipments of components and hardware, which should be perfectly fine.

strik3

if you ever need a hand dont hesitate to message me. im usually on here for most of the day.

there is just so much info on here. im still going through it all. lol

Welcome to the forum! A lot of info here to get you up to speed. Be safe. :)

Hey welcome to the forum!!

I'm from Sydney too, where abouts are you located?

I've done many builds and also have an arctic if you wanna check it out before you commit to buy one.

As other members have said, feel free to message one of us with any questions you have! The more Australian laser hobbyists the better!!

-Adrian