Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heya Laser Fans

Glad to have found this little niche o'laser light. I have been reading rather obsessively for weeks... I am grateful for the free info and camaraderie or whatever it is that hobbyists share together.

I'm a 34 yo U of A student and researcher in Tucson, AZ. (Anyone here? Would really like to meet up and see some new wavelengths, models, etc.) I'm into aquariums (African Cichlid tank and a beginner guppy/tetra/xray/shrimp), mycology, neuroscience, supplements and nootropics (the good ones not bs), I've had 1 Giant Asian praying mantis (more someday soon).

I really really wanted lasers as a kid but didn't get any till later. Now that things are more accessible it is pretty awesome! Younger people don't know what they've got usually.

I've had a strong green pen for awhile and a cheap keychain red.

Just got a red Laser 303 650nm in the mail ($8) expecting a 532nm and 405nm within a few days ($35 total).

I really respect these things now. The 303 I got is very strong (right now at least) and I can't believe how far it goes. I'm definately treating it like a gun. Looking at glasses now (A MUST). I am pretty sure my eyes have hurt very slightly from the green and now the red one tonight, even being careful.

Looking to build a high powered blue in the weeks to come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYuvHFiyfoQ

I like this one though it uses a M140 (2W) and uses a weaker driver for some reason so it is really just over 1W. Not sure about the lens... If I can get away with the acryllic then I will prob do that. Getting quite expensive with the 3 lens or G2 single.... So many choices\decisions and things to learn!

Anyways, glad to be here. Thanks :D

BodhiSci

Last edited:

Welcome to your new addiction mate. Ive been here just over a month and am very grateful to this community and the knowledge freely shared here. I also dabble in mycopia. Mushrooms are pretty amazing little fellas. Its picking season here in the pacific northwest! Lots of cyans and liberty caps ATM. Great avatar BTW
Cheers!

Edited to add. Any chance you work with Dr Stuart Hameroff? I am a fan of his work. I think he is from your school.

Last edited:
Hello BodhiSci,

You can't use an acrylic lens with that laser, best not to try with anything class 4 (500mW+). Welcome to LPF and best of luck building your first laser.

Alan

If your on a very tight Budget you can always get the build with acrylic lens, then buy a Single element (similar to G2) from O-Like or Aixiz might save you 10USD or so and it will up your power ALOT from acrylic, acylic may melt or degrade over time too,
Welcome to LPF!

Thanks everyone! This is pretty damn cool.

Freefly - Ha, it is an addiction\obsession for sure. I have been sucked into it for a few weeks now at the expense of other things, luckily I will have more time here soon. I have not met Dr Hameroff but I have heard about him a few times... I am studying somewhat related stuff though I don't know that much about him. Sounds like we have a few things in common with the myco. Thx for the avatar compliment.

Alan / Ryd - I will definitely take your advice there. I will spring for it, maybe the G2 if it really is that much more powerful for 1-2W (if that matters) than the three element. I will look into those other ones too. I definitely want it to be quality and something I can be proud of... will go for things within reason as long as it isn't too bad. Seems like there is diminishing returns after awhile in spending $$ for quality in most things. I go for medium-high range usually I'd say The sweet spot for what u get and what u pay.

But the V2 M140 diode mod someone did on here looked really good and then someone said they did some improvements on it... maybe there are better ones though it looked pretty sweet. I feel like I'm getting kind of aggressive with what I'm looking at taking on for a first mod, with the complexity and time, but hopefully it isn't too crazy. I am pretty good with these things... Will have to post and narrow things down here soon with advice on drivers and power to go for with it. Anyways thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
You should have a look at this thread and ask if he will sell you the 2 Lens http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-800mw-532nm-pl-e-pro-2w-kryton-groove-glasses-more-91931.html
they are very similar to the G2 lens for maximum power, they were purchased from this GB thread here, if he still has them you might scoop them for a couple dollars!

Do the G2 lens have worse beam divergence than the 3 element glass ones? If a person was not too interested in burning stuff but rather a nice tight beam what are the best lenses for that?
thanks

Do the G2 lens have worse beam divergence than the 3 element glass ones? If a person was not too interested in burning stuff but rather a nice tight beam what are the best lenses for that?
thanks
Yea the Single element(G2 etc) show the divergence "as is" from the diode, the 3 element Correct the beam a little bit and "clip" the edges of the beam (with slight power losses) I think its good to have one of each spare to experiment which one you like better DEPENDING what diode your build uses,
I have a couple Lasers where the diode has good divergence and the beams are very tight even with single element lens, But a 3 elemnt sounds like what you are looking for

Thank you RYDorDIE278. PMing him now about the lenses!

I just asked a question on another thread about hosts with side button. I am sure I need mine to be that, the rear clickly thing I don't think I'd like.

Take a look at these hosts I ordered from Ehgemus. They have a side clicky and are really beautiful work. Also a plus by supporting the LPF community.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/f...-side-momentary-switch-91469.html#post1336613
Just be aware the are "Side MOMENTARY" not "side clicky" so they only complete the circuit while you apply pressure to the switch, they do not click off/on, just a FYI before you offer them to our friend as side clickys,
CheerZ:na:

Just be aware the are "Side MOMENTARY" not "side clicky" so they only complete the circuit while you apply pressure to the switch, they do not click off/on, just a FYI before you offer them to our friend as side clickys,
CheerZ:na:

Gotcha. I stand corrected. Sorry about that.