Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey Guys!

I'm not trying to reopen this thread, but I have some new information that might prove useful to anyone interested in the subject.
After a bit of recent 'field research' I have determined that 445nm blue lasers are a lot less effective than either green or red for a given wattage. While blue does work, it just doesn't work as well in my opinion.
If anyone is interested, I could upload some video footage of the blue laser hazing a gaggle of about 200 geese on a small pond.

I'm not trying to reopen this thread, but I have some new information that might prove useful to anyone interested in the subject.
After a bit of recent 'field research' I have determined that 445nm blue lasers are a lot less effective than either green or red for a given wattage. While blue does work, it just doesn't work as well in my opinion.
If anyone is interested, I could upload some video footage of the blue laser hazing a gaggle of about 200 geese on a small pond.

It probably has to do with geese not being as sensitive to the 445nm light as they are to higher visible wavelengths.

While I know of no evidence to support the idea that geese have a similar spectrum sensitivity profile as ours, I do believe that they are less sensitive to blue. Another reason could be that they are just not as afraid of blue. After dark tests are quite a bit more effective, but much harder to film.
Here is a link to the youtube video of the early evening test using a laser that is 445nm and less than 500mW. The video is about 5 minutes long, but it takes about 3 minutes to really get things going (relatively speaking, of course). Red and especially green have a much more profound effect.

Wild goose chase 2 - YouTube

(preview post isn't working so well for me for some reason, so I am hoping this post comes out ok)

(in a very sarcastic tone : )
You think it might have to do with all that bright blue sky they fly in and the reflected bright blue sky on their choice of water surfaces that might desensitize them to the color blue that makes the difference ?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa. It couldn't be that. That would make far too much sense and be way too simple.

But a previously unseen bright dot or beam that flies at incredible speeds around and at them that defies their limited experiences with the laws of physics does get their attention and freaks them out ?!?
Who could have figured !?!
:na:

Sorry - I just had to get that out of my system.
I'm not having a very good week.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Personally, I think that if an unidentified thing was coming at me.. red would be the scariest color.

Hey Shorty, while I do really believe what you are saying is correct, I have to make the distinction that it is also just conjecture. Show me the references and I will call it evidence. I am a big fan of the scientific method. Theory is not fact, though that does not make theory useless.
I am attempting to report my observations without making any conclusions at this point. I'll let others jump to those:D

By the way, I understand having a bad week. I don't mind the sarcasm, it's better than going to a McDonalds with an AK-47 and ordering a Big Mac and everyone dead all over the place.

Last edited:
Geez. Thanks.
I'm feeling better already.

No facts to prove my theories.
I'm too lazy to look anything up, and I'm on the company clock...

As I, once upon a time, worked at McD's (not on the `tills) can anyone tell me how you might punch in a side order of "dead all over the place."
Is it expensive ?
What about a combo-meal deal ?
:na:
I'll still be somewhat grumpy until Christmas is over.
:yabbmad:

While I know of no evidence to support the idea that geese have a similar spectrum sensitivity profile as ours, I do believe that they are less sensitive to blue.

I can verify this to be true because I just tested it. Just about everyday several dozen geese come from the park across the street onto my + my neighbors lawns. I've been chasing the poopers (that's all they do) away with blue lasers until reading this, they definitely react more to a green dot on the ground by them instead of a blue dot :D :beer:

Last edited:
Lol, I don't think anybody is disputing the fact that blue is less effective. The point that is under contention here is the reason for the reduced effectiveness. We are assuming the geese are less sensitive to this wavelength, but the truth is we don't know. The reduced effectiveness could be the result of factors we are not aware of or are not considering. I realize it is splitting hairs, but you know the old saying: "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me"
Regardless of the cause, I appreciate the supporting data you have provided.
Thanks.:yh:

(edit: I guess the proper message at this point is that they are less reactive to or affected by blue than by green or red)

Last edited: