Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hey from maryland.

Wow greenmechanic, you call THAT a lab style heatsink????:na: Lol!!!
The pyro MAXSINK proudly holding my 445nm projector diode:
attachment.php

You've got a nice LCC diode there green, I have mine at 500mA and am only getting 303mW, gets to 310mW in a normal heatsink.
As I stated, the one in my labbie is a lot bigger then the one in the pic, but not as big as yours.:(
Very nice work on the fin cutting.
For me, the fins take the most time, being as I don't use CNC.
I bet you did not do those by hand.:crackup:
If so, I tip my hat to you, sir!!
Great heat-sink by any method although.:wave:

Okay guys exciting news i actually got my aixis module today, and opened the 16x dvd burner, Now i have two laser diodes and only one module :( so i need to know which one would be the red dvd laser and not the IR laser cause im not trying to blind myself..

this was to a samsung dvd burner.

one laser diode has a green dark yellow wire coming out of it with a small looking heat sink .
tho other laser diode has a yellow on dark yellow wire coming out of it and it has a more bigger looking heat sink. let me try to post a picture too so one of you can identify it better.

*edit* why isnt my aixiz module lighting up when i use it with a AA battery.. red positive black negative.

laser1-1.jpg

laser2-1.jpg

back and front view

Last edited:
The aixiz module probably needs 3 volts, or 2AA batteries in series.

As far as which diode is the good one, I would make a guess that it is the one on the right, with the brown ribbon, but its possible that it is the other one as well. Search the model number of the drive and see what comes up on the forum.

i was thinking that one too.. good news guys i bought all the parts for this driver .. its really neat and made it today.

YouTube - DIY: How to build a laser diode driver

laser.jpg

thats mine! its attached to a green 5mm LED it turns yellow when directly given full power but is a nice green when regulated. got all the parts from radioshack and the lady liked me so much she gave me a employee discount LMAO SCORE!

*edit* dont make fun of my duct tape rig please

I make all my own heat-sinks, but I am too busy at the moment, maybe if my work slows down, I'll start taking orders for custom made ones again.
Another member could make one for you. (Jayrob?)

I know its a bit up there in the posts but i just realized what u said after going over it.

i would like to make my own heat sink but it'd probablycheaper for me to just buy one right? its just a block of metal?

It can be just a block of metal drilled out for the aixiz to press into, or you can get all elaborate and make it finned etc. but just a big block will do fine.

That driver looks good, but you really need to loose the duct tape. If for some reason the laser diode got disconnected and reconnected the output capacitor could kill the diode in a blink of an eye, it really needs to be soldered.

Also, you might want a better way to check the output current. That LED will likely die if you are giving it enough power to make it turn yellow lol. Building a test load is pretty cheap, and you can get everything for it from radioshack.