Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey all!

Hey everyone, this is my obligatory intro! I hail from Minnesota, land of never ending road construction. I just moved into a new place and have a 'lab' of sorts set up in one of the bedrooms. Now that I have some space I've decided it's time to get into the hobby.

I've always been into tech and I suppose like a lot of you Star Wars started me on that path. (Who didn't want a light saber or blaster?) When I was younger my older brother took me to Chicago for fun and we stopped by the Museum of Holography. (Most of the money I saved paid for a small hologram that I still have.) It blew my little mind and I started reading about lasers. I even have a dog eared copy of the Handbook of Holography! Even though a lot of it was above my head at the time, I read it cover to cover more than once. I was hooked, but for a 13 year old it was all out of reach.

>>> cut to 30 years later <<<

So my boss comes in one day and tells us he bought a handheld laser from Wicked Lasers. (The Arctic.) Naturally I thought it was the coolest thing ever and decided I had to have one. You know, one day. When I made more money. Of course when the money came, they were no longer able to sell them. Ah well, I thought, it just wasn't to be.

About a year ago, just when I was in the middle of selling my house and moving, I saw a video from StyroPyro and hope was rekindled! I didn't have much time to pursue it then, but now that I'm settled into my new house and my new job I want to dive into this!

I went to school for electronics and audio but ended up in IT. (I strayed into home automation for a while, but IT is where I'm happy.) I don't remember much about circuit design but I'm still handy with a soldering iron and feel comfortable tackling a small build. (I kept all my text books and have pulled them out again. They're over 25 years old now, but I don't suppose a resistor has changed TOO much in that time!)

All roads lead to LPF, so here I am. I'm reading all the sticky threads and working on figuring out what I want to do. I apologize in advance for the numerous noob questions I'm sure I'll have. I'll keep my flame suit handy! :)

Thanks,

~Mark

94Z28

Well your paths definitely lead you to the right place friend welcome to LPF! I don't mind noob questions pm anytime if you need help.

Welcome, Mark. I was interested in holography too. Though, I got into it in the 1970s and after college started making my own holograms. I still have everything needed to make either transmission or reflection holograms and have made quite a few, but not since the 1980s. If you ever decide to do it and need answers to any questions, feel free to contact me about them. I hope you enjoy it here, and remember, burning things with lasers gets old after awhile and they are good for much more than that. :)

Hi C,
Welcome your intro was outstanding kudos to my man. Her you will like all the folks they are great and ready to help. I haven't read a good intro as this in a long time. Your from MN the land of a thousand lakes if i'm not mistaken. Good fishing in them parts. Where i'm at i have a number of lakes and great fishing. Well anyway glad your her and hope you stay here at LPF. Always here to help .. WOW Great intro..

Rich:)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Looking forward to being a moderate pain in the you-know-what while I get up to speed! :)

~Mark